Corona Impact on Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Corona Impact on Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Any thoughts or insight? Oscar has been dry for about 2 weeks.

nixy

Gold

Re: Corona Impact on Clerkship Hiring

Post by nixy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:39 pm

I don’t know where we are in the clerkship hiring cycle generally right now (with the shift to the plan and so on), but I’m quite sure judges are not thinking about hiring right now. At least where I practice, the court is just starting to figure out how to keep going under current circumstances, and has been pretty overwhelmed. I suppose this might be less pressing for COAs than for DCts, but I would think the quarantine is going to have everyone fairly upside down for a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:39 pm

Our chamber wasn't planning to fill additional spots until June anyways, so I can't say for sure whether the virus would have impacted hiring if we were planning to hire. But I suspect it would have. We (as well as many other chambers I know of) are working from home, and I'm sure we wouldn't have wanted to force someone to fly in to interview (putting both their health and ours at risk).

desiperc

New

Post by desiperc » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:29 pm

There have been occasional federal clerkship postings on OSCAR in the past two weeks - but I don't know if that is the normal pace or not. My guess is the judges who aren't planning to review till June won't be as affected by this pandemic. Hopefully more judges will switch to video-conference interviews.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:52 pm

desiperc wrote:There have been occasional federal clerkship postings on OSCAR in the past two weeks - but I don't know if that is the normal pace or not. My guess is the judges who aren't planning to review till June won't be as affected by this pandemic. Hopefully more judges will switch to video-conference interviews.
There normally are lots of posts per day. There have been around 5 posts in the past 2 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:58 am

My judge noted that he has a strong preference for hiring based on in-person interviews, and I imagine that most judges are the same unless they have no other option. Given that these positions are being hired for 1-2 years out, there is no need for judges to rush into using Skype interviews to interview in April just because they've always done that. (And if the judges see that other judges aren't posting, then there's no worry about losing top candidates by waiting.) The positions aren't going anywhere, the interviewing will just be delayed. Not sure what y'all are trying to read into the current lack of new postings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”