Moving Clerkship Year Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
eudaemonia

New

Moving Clerkship Year

Post by eudaemonia » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 pm

I need some advice about whether it’s kosher to move my clerkship year. I applied for the 2022 term and the judge was uncertain about hiring so far out. I was unable to do 2021 because of other commitments. Although he would have preferred I do 2021, the judge offered me the job for 2022.

Those life commitments have now changed, and 2021 would now work. Would it be inappropriate to reach out and ask the judge if he would prefer that I do the earlier term? Or should I just leave things be?

cjm2018

New

Re: Moving Clerkship Year

Post by cjm2018 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Probably depends on a whole host of factors, especially the judge's personality. In my view, if the judge hasn't filled his 2021 slots, he may be happy to hear you're available for 2021. But if he's already filled the 2021 slots, he may get frustrated by it. How long ago did you receive the offer/settle on clerking in 2022? If it was recent (within a month), I would just call the JA.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Totally fine as long as the reason doesn't make you sound flaky (and even then, almost certainly fine). Gives the judge flexibility, just make sure you're absolutely still happy to do either year and express as such to the judge.

texanslimjim

New

Post by texanslimjim » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:41 pm

As long as you make it about how you are now able to fulfill his preference that you start in 2021, should be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:37 pm

cjm2018 wrote:Probably depends on a whole host of factors, especially the judge's personality. In my view, if the judge hasn't filled his 2021 slots, he may be happy to hear you're available for 2021. But if he's already filled the 2021 slots, he may get frustrated by it. How long ago did you receive the offer/settle on clerking in 2022? If it was recent (within a month), I would just call the JA.
I received the offer in early November.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:33 pm

I agree with cjm's response above and would approach this situation with considerable caution, especially where the offer was made three months ago (presumably when the judge was interviewing other candidates for the 2021 term). Unless you have good reason to think the judge has not filled for 2021, you risk setting a bad impression and looking disorganized without having anything to gain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”