Clerkship as foreigner Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship as foreigner

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:45 am

What are my options?
T14 cum laude been practicing biglaw few years. Ideally want Delaware clerkship.
But to my surprise (correct me if wrong) looks like Del clerkships are all/mostly filled till 2022 already??
Also am a foreign citizen.
Any advice or strategy would be much appreciated thanks

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: Clerkship as foreigner

Post by Anon-non-anon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 am

As a foreigner, you can only do volunteer fed clerkships inside the Continental US. I'm sure if you can/want to volunteer for a year, you can get a DE clerkship. Dunno about state rules.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:14 am

Anon-non-anon wrote:As a foreigner, you can only do volunteer fed clerkships inside the Continental US. I'm sure if you can/want to volunteer for a year, you can get a DE clerkship. Dunno about state rules.
How do you volunteer for clerkship?
Do I just email the judges?

dvlthndr

Bronze

Post by dvlthndr » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 am

If you have an OSCAR account you will see unpaid positions listed occasionally .

Also, you may also want to involve your school's clerkship office. They may have resources for alumni who are planning to apply, and they would probably have a better idea of judges looking for volunteers.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anon-non-anon wrote:As a foreigner, you can only do volunteer fed clerkships inside the Continental US. I'm sure if you can/want to volunteer for a year, you can get a DE clerkship. Dunno about state rules.
How do you volunteer for clerkship?
Do I just email the judges?
I would send paper copies with volunteer noted in cover letter very clearly. But first check with your clerkship office for any connections / history of this they're aware of. And if you want to target a few, I would consider calling chambers to see if they would take an extra volunteer clerk. Most likely answer is no, but it may prompt a conversation with the judge and decision to take a look at your app when they otherwise might just throw it out/put it on the pile. You could also target judges with long 6-month lists and chiefs, as you know they have extra work they could use help with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”