Should I go for COA? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Should I go for COA?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:42 am

Hey All - I'm a 3L at a T10. I just received an offer to clerk in a district court in an active/competitive district (Not super competitive like SDNY or anything) for 2022. I'm probably around top 20% with LR, moot court, mock trial, solid federal/appellate focused internships, and I'll be going to a top firm in DC. I've been told by my CSO I'm competitive for some COA.

I interviewed with one COA judge and I'm waiting to hear back so the decision may be already made for me but she was the only COA judge I applied to and I'm debating whether or not I'd like to pursue an appellate clerkship. I'm not a phenomenal brief writer but I know it's something I'd like to work on. Also, I'm not particularly academic and I'm worried I would hate the work of an appellate clerk. My firm has a particularly strong appellate practice group but I think I would like to do something more fast paced and I don't know if appellate work is for me.

Could someone speak to the benefits of a COA clerkship after a district court clerkship? Will it open anymore doors beyond what a district court clerkship will offer me? Will my writing substantially improve? Is it worth forgoing a year of big law income if I'm able to get one?

texanslimjim

New

Re: Should I go for COA?

Post by texanslimjim » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:10 pm

I believe the consensus answer will generally be that the Federal COA clerkship is a big enough boost over the course of your career to be worth the extra year if it's just 2 years total. Yes, there are a small number of very elite doors that it opens that a D. Ct. clerkship will not -- but also every other door will be easier to get through. It doesn't matter that you're not interested in appellate practice, the COA shine is not limited in that way.

I would not expect it to substantially improve your writing -- you'll write more, and more complex, neutral, internal memos than you will for a D. Ct. judge, but otherwise the work product you'll produce is very similar. It's very likely that you'll be bored by the end of the second clerkship. You're right that after the first clerkship the second one is more of a prestige badge rather than major practical boost.

Given your lukewarmness, I would suggest maybe limiting your COA applications to judges that are in the market/state/circuit that your law firm is in. If you get one, you can be reasonably assured that it will be a significant career boost. If not, no sweat off your back.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”