T50, post-BigLaw? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

T50, post-BigLaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Would clerking for a federal judge in the NY/NJ area be feasible for someone coming from a T50 in the top 15% without LR? I am a published EIC of a secondary and heading to a V5 firm for litigation in NYC. I've heard of associates leaving their firm after 1-2 years, clerking for a year and then returning to the firm. Normally advice for this kind of thing is given to T14 graduates and I wasn't sure if my background changes the calculus dramatically for me.

I want to try and lengthen my shelf-life in litigation, and evidently I'm not the best-credentialed associate if I'm missing a clerkship/LR/T14. Maybe I should even broaden my search to judges in other areas, but I've read a lot about the NY/NJ-area judges being more willing to take experienced associates over graduates. Would one of those unpaid clerkships be perceived as less than? Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: T50, post-BigLaw?

Post by Anon-non-anon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:43 pm

Some judges in NYC / nearby NJ area only interview candidates with a year or two experience. I think school name and journal fades a bit to experience and law firm at that point, but it can still be harder to be pulled out of the pile not going to a top school.

I don't think career wise it's any different regardless of the school you went to. Just about getting the offer to clerk.

Will definitely be easier if you expand your search. I don't think work experience will hurt you with many judges. Some only hire straight out, but I think many of those slots are given to T6-ish top candidates anyway.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would clerking for a federal judge in the NY/NJ area be feasible for someone coming from a T50 in the top 15% without LR? I am a published EIC of a secondary and heading to a V5 firm for litigation in NYC. I've heard of associates leaving their firm after 1-2 years, clerking for a year and then returning to the firm. Normally advice for this kind of thing is given to T14 graduates and I wasn't sure if my background changes the calculus dramatically for me.

I want to try and lengthen my shelf-life in litigation, and evidently I'm not the best-credentialed associate if I'm missing a clerkship/LR/T14. Maybe I should even broaden my search to judges in other areas, but I've read a lot about the NY/NJ-area judges being more willing to take experienced associates over graduates. Would one of those unpaid clerkships be perceived as less than? Thanks for the help.
Second the advice to broaden your search, but I would be sure to include magistrate judges in SDNY/EDNY as well. Like non-anon said, many judges won't interview without at least some experience, and for many of those judges, elite NYC biglaw lit (which is that you're doing) is the gold standard. Be sure to research judges' requirements; some need 2 years of experience, and some prefer 2-3 years but will look at applicants with 1 year of exp or more than 3.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:52 am

Thanks for the help. Who would the potential recommendations in this scenario be written by? 3 Senior attorneys and/or partners because I’ll have WE, or do I still need to manage a few from professors?

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:42 am

Some combo of professors and attorneys you worked with is probably good. Some judges really like hearing from professors, some would prefer more direct supervision of your actual work, so I would hedge by doing both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”