Question about Northern District of California mag clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Question about Northern District of California mag clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:41 pm

I might have an interview with a magistrate judge in the ND Cal. I’m currently clerking for a mag in another California district. I also clerked for a district judge elsewhere and was in private practice for three years too.

Just wondering what exit options would be from a mag clerkship in this district. And I’m also wondering about general work life balance in this district. Finally, for others that have clerked in this district, did you like it? I like San Fran ally, but it’s crazy expensive and very far from my home.

New

Re: Question about Northern District of California mag clerkship

Post by 20181989 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:48 am

OP, PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:58 am

OP again. Also, does anyone know whether I would be at 13-3 on jsp with two prior federal clerkships, bar membership, and private practice experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 am

OP here; I sent a PM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Figured I would give this one last bump, as the interview is rapidly approaching. Just curious about Nd cal mag judges and clerks: usual exit opps, workload, etc.

justanotherlurker

New

Post by justanotherlurker » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:48 pm

On the clerkship:
What is your goal in doing the third clerkship? I'm sure you appreciate that you'll have six years of experience after this third clerkship. I do not think that this clerkship improves your prospects at a big law firm job (except maybe in law firm offices in SF/SV). And, to the contrary, the seniority is going to make it difficult for you to find a biglaw job (unless you have very specialized experience/background). In general, most offices are looking to get rid of 7th year associates, not hire more.

On the salary: at least in my clerkships, you do not go up in steps. Rather, after you have two full years of clerking, you'd qualify for JSP-14 step 1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”