Reapplying to Judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Reapplying to Judge

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 pm

Based on digging up some old posts, it seems like the conventional wisdom on TLS with respect to reapplying to Judges, with whom you have already interviewed but were rejected, is that there's little to lose from doing so.

Recently, a judge who rejected me after an interview opened a slot for the same term that I interviewed for. I guess it's possible somebody backed out, or something. On OSCAR, I've since withdrawn that application, so I can't just "resubmit" it (for whatever reason, once you withdraw, it seems like you're locked out for reapplying for that same position). Is it worth reaching out to the chambers (like the JA who coordinated the interview) to see if they would reconsider my application? Or is that going too far?

My instinct is that there's little to lose again for the same reasons as a cold reapply on OSCAR to a subsequent term, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't really missing something.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Reapplying to Judge

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 pm

I tend to think of a no after an interview as a little more of a hard "no." But again, nothing to lose by reapplying, and maybe you got edged out and would be in contention again.

ETA: if you want to be reconsidered, just send a paper application in and note in the cover letter that you'd been interviewed, rather than contacting the JA.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm

I agree on just mailing in an application. Getting rejected after an interview isn't always a hard no. Although, with it being for the same term, it's a bit odd the judge wouldn't have reached out if he/she was interested. Still, it's not going to hurt you to apply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm

lavarman84 wrote:I agree on just mailing in an application. Getting rejected after an interview isn't always a hard no. Although, with it being for the same term, it's a bit odd the judge wouldn't have reached out if he/she was interested. Still, it's not going to hurt you to apply.
Would you mail the app in even if it says that they only look at OSCAR apps?

Also, I agree on the reaching out thing. But, I mean the interview for the position was back in March 2019, and after the interview, the position was marked as filled. So maybe the Judge just assumed that I wouldn't be interested anymore or something?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:I agree on just mailing in an application. Getting rejected after an interview isn't always a hard no. Although, with it being for the same term, it's a bit odd the judge wouldn't have reached out if he/she was interested. Still, it's not going to hurt you to apply.
Would you mail the app in even if it says that they only look at OSCAR apps?

Also, I agree on the reaching out thing. But, I mean the interview for the position was back in March 2019, and after the interview, the position was marked as filled. So maybe the Judge just assumed that I wouldn't be interested anymore or something?
Well, you can't apply through OSCAR, so that seems to be your best option. I guess you could reach out to the people at OSCAR and try to see if something can be done or call or email the JA and ask if you could email or mail your application in since you can't apply through OSCAR, if you're really worried about it. Why did you withdraw from the position to begin with if you interviewed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:32 pm

There’s a cap on how many applications you can have active on OSCAR at this point, so I’m assuming they withdrew the unsuccessful application to be able to send out a new application.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:36 pm

nixy wrote:There’s a cap on how many applications you can have active on OSCAR at this point, so I’m assuming they withdrew the unsuccessful application to be able to send out a new application.
That makes sense. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:24 am

nixy wrote:There’s a cap on how many applications you can have active on OSCAR at this point, so I’m assuming they withdrew the unsuccessful application to be able to send out a new application.
Yeah, after the position was marked as filled, I withdrew the application to free up a slot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:46 am

There's no harm in reapplying. When I was helping to select my replacement, there was only one candidate that was a hard no after the interview. The rest just got edged out for largely subjective reasons. Although if the judge was really interested in you, he/she may have contacted you directly, but I would not be surprised if the judge just assumed those who got dinged have moved on and would no longer be interested. Or just reposted the position because it takes about 30 seconds to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”