How are floater clerkships viewed? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How are floater clerkships viewed?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:37 pm

I recently interviewed for a "floater" clerkship position in a federal district court. How is this type of position viewed in comparison to directly clerking for a federal district court judge? Are your post clerkship opportunities limited in any way?

QContinuum

Re: How are floater clerkships viewed?

Post by QContinuum » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:11 am

Compared to being assigned to a single judge? Generally the traditional position would be viewed more positively. Folks may question how much mentorship you'd get as a "floater." Relative to a state-court clerkship (other than the highest court in CA/NY/MA)? Take the floater.

New

Re: How are floater clerkships viewed?

Post by 20181989 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:48 am

I don't perceive a difference. I do a fair amount of interviewing/hiring at my major-market lit boutique, and we see "floater" clerkships (tho never heard that term before) fairly frequently. They're basically viewed equivalently. The only issue that can sometimes arise is referencing - because you rotate, clerks don't always wind up w/one judge who can go to bat for them in the way that term clerks' judges usually can. But as long as you develop a good relationship w/at least one of the judges, who can serve as a reference, you're fine.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”