How competitive are magistrate clerkships in SDNY, CDCA, NDCA, SDTX, NDTX Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How competitive are magistrate clerkships in SDNY, CDCA, NDCA, SDTX, NDTX

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 pm

I’m currently a magistrate clerk on the EDCA. Prior to that I clerked at the district level in a flyover district I guess (think EDTX, WDLA, NDMISS). I like clerking and want to continue doing it. But at this point in my life, I’m only willing to clerk in cities I truly want to live in. NY, LA, Dallas, and Houston are some on my list. I’m applying to district courts as well, but how competitive are magistrate clerkships in the aforementioned districts?

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: How competitive are magistrate clerkships in SDNY, CDCA, NDCA, SDTX, NDTX

Post by cbbinnyc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:56 pm

I can only speak to NY (don't have GPA stats for the others) and, as a caveat, I'm basing this purely on GPA stats that our clerkship office has ... but, at least coming from NYU, magistrate spots for SDNY are pretty competitive. The average successful applicant is top 25% or so. (One exception - SDNY magistrate spots in White Plains seem to be less competitive, if you're willing to make that commute). You might try EDNY - magistrate spots there are still relatively competitive, but notably less than SDNY.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 pm

SDNY and EDNY are very competitive; elsewhere, not so much.

For LA, below median to top third are all competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:21 pm

OP here. Thanks. Forgot about EDNY. And as far as top third, what school are you referencing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”