John Adams Courthouse Question re: Phones Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

John Adams Courthouse Question re: Phones

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:23 pm

I have an interview tomorrow at the John Adams Courthouse in Boston. Can I bring my cellphone into the courthouse for the interview? I ask because I use the MBTA app for train tickets and I won't have a safe place to put the phone in Boston if I cannot have it with me in the courthouse.

Massachusetts trial courts do not allow in cellphones generally, but I'm unsure about the appellate courts.

https://www.mass.gov/policy-statement/t ... d-personal

https://www.mass.gov/supreme-judicial-c ... the-courts

Anonymous User

Re: John Adams Courthouse Question re: Phones

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 pm

I don't know that courthouse specifically, but at one courthouse I worked in that barred cell phones, if you brought a cell phone with you, you left it with the CSOs with your driver's license, and picked it up again when you left, so it was safe while you were visiting. I would think that would be pretty common in a city like Boston where so many people will be using public transport. (Otherwise I'd just try calling the courthouse first thing in the morning, if you have time before the interview.)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Why not just leave your phone at home and buy a paper ticket for the train?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:31 pm

QContinuum wrote:Why not just leave your phone at home and buy a paper ticket for the train?
1) I have to go to class first in the morning before the interview
2) I have a limited amount of time to get from class to the courthouse and stopping home is going to cut into that by around a half hour
3) The station where I intend to board the train doesn't sell paper tickets, although its possible (but less convenient) to buy tickets on the train
4) I would be incommunicado for about five hours and I want to contact other potential employers, my law school, and family ASAP

It would be possible for me to leave my phone in the car at the train station's parking lot but that's very undesirable.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:41 pm

I have yet to go into a courthouse that doesn't have a system for dealing with this. Bring your phone in, and they'll probably do the driver's-license-exchange thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:45 pm

I'll echo the others. I interviewed at many courthouses. They'll either hold onto your phone for you or let you keep it (since you're interviewing). Either ways, there will be a solution for the problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:41 am

OP here: called the courthouse and visitors are able to bring in cellphones, so I'm good to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”