DC COA (not DC Circ.) Clerkship Prestige Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

DC COA (not DC Circ.) Clerkship Prestige

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Any thoughts? Pretty ~ to state SC or more than that? Or less?

Anonymous User

Re: DC COA (not DC Circ.) Clerkship Prestige

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Not sure myself, but a friend of mine is clerking there and she also had interviews with competitive district judges. I get the sense that it's a step up from the average state supreme court since the judges are confirmed with senate's advice/consent, but that's just my take on it. Has a very interesting docket though!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:19 pm

At my HYS, it's pretty common for people to go DC COA-->competitive district or non-feeder circuit, and the few people I know well who took DC COA offers had the grades to be competitive for those types of courts. It's ideal if you're interested in public defense: several of the judges were high up at PDS DC before being appointed, and I think there's a strong DC COA network at PDS DC and maybe some of the other "prestige" public defender offices. Most of the people I know who applied to DC COA were prestige public defense gunners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 am

What about the DCSC (DC Superior Court)? And is the DCSC's level of prestige irrelevant / moot if you have a district court clerkship lined up afterwards?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about the DCSC (DC Superior Court)? And is the DCSC's level of prestige irrelevant / moot if you have a district court clerkship lined up afterwards?
Unless you intend to practice criminal law in DC, if you had a district court clerkship lined up and had a gap year, I'd go to a firm or apply for a public interest fellowship for that year. I don't see much marginal benefit in DCSC, but it definitely depends on what you want to do afterward.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”