Srinivasan Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Srinivasan Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 11:01 pm

So how does someone like Srinivasan or Garland hire YLS clerks? That school is famously opaque about differentiating students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:01 pm
So how does someone like Srinivasan or Garland hire YLS clerks? That school is famously opaque about differentiating students.
Virtually all Hs as well as other indicators of excellence like a publication on a pressing topic in federal appellate litigation. And superlative recommendations from big name professors who say things like, "This is the best student I've ever had in my X years of teaching." Or "this student reminds me a lot of this other student, whom you hired and loved. In fact, this student might even be better than that one."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think it’s not as opaque as commonly thought about. The H/P curve is about as “standard” as Stanford or Harvard for black-letters, and credible candidates are going to have taken some selection of admin / fed courts / torts / evidence / crimpro / other “normal” doctrinal classes that follow the curve. Rec letters (important for 1L fall shadow grades) and other gold stars (YLJ, Coker, certain application clinics, RA gigs) make it not the hardest to discover who’s a superstar. By plan time, libs will have 12ish graded classes, which probably means 4ish real black-letter grades at least plus the power of a potential Eskridge RegState
H or Gluck Legislation H make Yale apps more “Harvardian” than might otherwise be apparent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Virtually all Hs as well as other indicators of excellence like a publication on a pressing topic in federal appellate litigation. And superlative recommendations from big name professors who say things like, "This is the best student I've ever had in my X years of teaching." Or "this student reminds me a lot of this other student, whom you hired and loved. In fact, this student might even be better than that one."
Publications are a tad overrated as causal factors instead of correlated ones. A lot of Yalies end up trying to convert their SAWs into a Note, but that’s more common after 2L than during it. Some exceptions, obviously, but it’s *hard* to fit in a Note-level piece of scholarship with several papers, Journal commitments, RA work, “prestigious” clinics, classes that require brief writing / moot court, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Publications are a tad overrated as causal factors instead of correlated ones. A lot of Yalies end up trying to convert their SAWs into a Note, but that’s more common after 2L than during it. Some exceptions, obviously, but it’s *hard* to fit in a Note-level piece of scholarship with several papers, Journal commitments, RA work, “prestigious” clinics, classes that require brief writing / moot court, etc.
You'd be surprised at how many professors shadowgrade at YLS. In nearly all of my blackletters--including the ostensibly ungraded 1L fall classes--professors were happy to tell you about how you did in relationship to the rest of the class, particularly if you had one of the top exams; this matters for the high end of clerkships, where it's more likely than not that the judge will call some (for people like Sri, maybe even all?) of your blackletter professors and ask for information about exam outcomes beyond the H or P on your transcript. That's in addition to the other gold stars people chase outside of class, which another anon mentioned (RAing for professors with clerkship pull, and, to a probably much lesser extent, journal positions / competitive clinics).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You'd be surprised at how many professors shadowgrade at YLS. In nearly all of my blackletters--including the ostensibly ungraded 1L fall classes--professors were happy to tell you about how you did in relationship to the rest of the class, particularly if you had one of the top exams; this matters for the high end of clerkships, where it's more likely than not that the judge will call some (for people like Sri, maybe even all?) of your blackletter professors and ask for information about exam outcomes beyond the H or P on your transcript. That's in addition to the other gold stars people chase outside of class, which another anon mentioned (RAing for professors with clerkship pull, and, to a probably much lesser extent, journal positions / competitive clinics).
lmao at that point why not just grade the fucking students

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Preserve the upside of a great rec / shadow calls, but stay “in the game” with a low H that would have been a B+ or the like elsewhere. Yale’s just maximizing its candidates. It’s also hugely more impactful for firms than for clerkships.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu May 26, 2022 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
to keep OCI easymode ya dingus

Firms aren't calling up your professors to ask how you did in Civ Pro

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”