Clerkship Hiring in 1L Fall?? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Hiring in 1L Fall??

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:59 pm

I am hearing scuttlebutt from some of my contacts at other similarly-ranked schools (I'm at one of HYS) that judges are interviewing candidates/potentially soliciting applications from candidates prior to 1L fall grades coming out. Naturally, this sounds completely insane to me, and nothing in my own clerkship application experience suggested that this is occurring.

Just putting feelers out here—is this anything that people have heard of?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Clerkship Hiring in 1L Fall??

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Disclaimer - I know nothing from personal experience, but lore has it that this was the kind of thing that was happening before the hiring plan was put into place, and one of the reasons for instituting the plan. So I have no idea if it's happening now but I believe it has happened in the past.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:18 pm

There are people at HYS with clerkships they got from feeder judges after 1L Fall grades. But I'm not sure how a judge would know who to interview before having at least one semester's-worth of grades.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Legal ability is basically evident from birth, so I'm guessing preschool transcripts.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:54 pm

No clue if this is happening. Just came in to unhelpfully say that if it is happening, that's insane.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:02 pm

It's almost like all the babble about "merit" was a lie :roll:

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am hearing scuttlebutt from some of my contacts at other similarly-ranked schools (I'm at one of HYS) that judges are interviewing candidates/potentially soliciting applications from candidates prior to 1L fall grades coming out. Naturally, this sounds completely insane to me, and nothing in my own clerkship application experience suggested that this is occurring.

Just putting feelers out here—is this anything that people have heard of?
I haven't heard anything at H, and I assume this is the kind of thing that would spread pretty fast here if someone was claiming that they already applied/interviewed with a feeder a month before first semester 1l finals.

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:37 am

There are several 2Ls at S that got clerkships with 1L Fall/Winter quarter grades (they had a high % of Hs and 1+ book prizes each). I haven't heard of any who got clerkships without 1L fall grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are people at HYS with clerkships they got from feeder judges after 1L Fall grades. But I'm not sure how a judge would know who to interview before having at least one semester's-worth of grades.
At YLS fall grades would be irrelevant since unlike other schools there is no distinguishing between students on a transcript until May. Professor calls are how students are landing early interviews. Mere mortals must wait to actually make an impression on important faculty, but there will always be students with well connected family or other resources that can start the process immediately with faculty support.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:15 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:There are several 2Ls at S that got clerkships with 1L Fall/Winter quarter grades (they had a high % of Hs and 1+ book prizes each). I haven't heard of any who got clerkships without 1L fall grades.
Only 1+ BP each? So non-feeders are hiring this early out? My god, times have changed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:02 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:There are several 2Ls at S that got clerkships with 1L Fall/Winter quarter grades (they had a high % of Hs and 1+ book prizes each). I haven't heard of any who got clerkships without 1L fall grades.
Only 1+ BP each? So non-feeders are hiring this early out? My god, times have changed.
At S. I think these were all late spring quarter/early summer hires. Earliest I've heard was June. So no spring grades, but still ~8 grades between fall and winter. Not sure on # of prizes, but afaik only feeders were moving before spring grades were out and S gets out later than other schools.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:41 am

Post Deleted

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
At S. I think these were all late spring quarter/early summer hires. Earliest I've heard was June. So no spring grades, but still ~8 grades between fall and winter. Not sure on # of prizes, but afaik only feeders were moving before spring grades were out and S gets out later than other schools.
The point AoM is making is that a feeder would not usually hire someone with "only" one book prize so if people with one book prize are getting hired it implies that non-feeders are hiring. But it sounds like your point was more that feeders are hiring pre-spring grades, not that people with one book prize are getting hired.

More on topic: I hope no one is getting hired or interviewed without grades. For all their faults, at least grades are blind and everyone knows has a shot of doing well. Interviewing without grades means interviewing based on connections or in-class gunning, neither of which is a good basis...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”