Trump's hiring freeze Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BVest

Platinum

Re: Trump's hiring freeze

Post by BVest » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 pm

This is a ridiculous thread. Trump's inauguration will have no effect on clerkships. Even if he finds creative and unique ways to test the separation of powers.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:31 pm

BVest wrote:This is a ridiculous thread. Trump's inauguration will have no effect on clerkships. Even if he finds creative and unique ways to test the separation of powers.
For the record, I agree with the bolded, at least for the short term. But looking long term, I could easily see a Republican president and Republican-controlled Congress eliminating clerkship positions--e.g., "30 years ago, COA judges got along just fine with two clerks. Why do they need four?"

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:53 pm

compared to the bloat in the executive and legislative branches, i would be shocked if the relative bargain of the judiciary got into the crosshairs of the administration on any issue other than nominations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:14 pm

When I clerked for the 9th Circuit, Fox and some republican congressmen came out and said that the 9th Circuit judge's retreat in Hawaii was a waste of money. They ended up shortening it and then (I think) cancelling the clerk's orientation event in San Francisco. Maybe some more of that?

Tbf, if someone asked me to find some fat to trim in the judiciary, I'd probably recommend that clerk salaries be cut in half, because all us prestige whores would still beg for the job at almost any pay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:58 pm

Agreed that clerk salaries aren't the first thing on Trump's agenda, but it seems like the judiciary committee has been looking seriously at cost containment in the judiciary again recently. See http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-16-97.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”