How hard is it to get a government job after a clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How hard is it to get a government job after a clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:02 pm

How hard is it to get a government job after a clerkship? And in case I can't get one, how important is it to biglaw firms that your pre-clerkship firm gave you an offer to return?

I got an offer to clerk , but my firm is not reacting well to it. The firm is struggling financially and has been trying to purge as many people under the table as it can get away with. They said they're happy to let me go clerk; they just won't extend an offer (or even a cold offer) for me to come back. I wanted the cold offer for future job applications, in case I don't get the government position I want. I'm still negotiating with them. The firm said if I stayed and did the work they needed me to do, they won't let me go. Needless to say, I'm not interested in returning to this firm. I just want to make sure that not having an offer to return isn't going to hurt me in the long run.

Anonymous User

Re: How hard is it to get a government job after a clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:38 pm

I think if you explain that you were not given an offer because of your plans to clerk (rather than fit/work product), most firms you apply to will have no problem with it. I was in a somewhat similar situation.

For gov't jobs, a clerkship will certainly help. DOJ honors and other gov't honors programs look favorably on clerkships. That said, grades and other factors come into play, but a clerkship is not going to hut your chances of getting any type of employment.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How hard is it to get a government job after a clerkship? And in case I can't get one, how important is it to biglaw firms that your pre-clerkship firm gave you an offer to return?

I got an offer to clerk , but my firm is not reacting well to it. The firm is struggling financially and has been trying to purge as many people under the table as it can get away with. They said they're happy to let me go clerk; they just won't extend an offer (or even a cold offer) for me to come back. I wanted the cold offer for future job applications, in case I don't get the government position I want. I'm still negotiating with them. The firm said if I stayed and did the work they needed me to do, they won't let me go. Needless to say, I'm not interested in returning to this firm. I just want to make sure that not having an offer to return isn't going to hurt me in the long run.
Depends--do you have experience in the your preferred government practice area?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 pm

I don't think it will matter to other firms much that your pre-clerkship firm refused to defer you for a year, particularly because your firm gave you an offer and is struggling financially.

For government job, it depends on which agency and state and the level(s) of your clerkship(s). And it depends on your other qualifications.

FWIW, I'd do the same thing in your position because you really don't want to be at a struggling firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How hard is it to get a government job after a clerkship? And in case I can't get one, how important is it to biglaw firms that your pre-clerkship firm gave you an offer to return?

Depends--do you have experience in the your preferred government practice area?
Yes; my current job is/was the other side of the same field

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:55 pm

i would say it's still hard, but not really hard. hth.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:04 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:i would say it's still hard, but not really hard. hth.
Yeah

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Yeah, I don't think a firm refusing to defer your offer for a year is really the same as a no-offer at all. You can totally legitimately say that you had an offer, but you turned it down to clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:51 am

OP

Thanks for the advice. I accepted the position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”