When should you follow-up and how often? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

When should you follow-up and how often?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:02 pm

When should you follow-up after an interview and how often?

I have a few outstanding interviews, one of which was with my top-choice judge. That judge is still interviewing, but I think at least one other is done. A former classmate recommended that I follow up once every two weeks, but it seems like pestering. At the same time, I don't want the judges to think I'm not interested.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: When should you follow-up and how often?

Post by runinthefront » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:14 pm

I wouldn't follow up, as I don't think the judges have forgotten about you/would take your lack of outreach to mean a lack of interest. If you choose to follow up, I definitely wouldn't do so more than once.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:25 pm

It's alright to reach out if you really need a decision soon, although doing so isn't risk free. Otherwise it's virtually never necessary (your interview, followed by not withdrawing your application, signifies your continuing interest), and doing it every two weeks is a very, very bad idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:27 pm

The soonest I followed up with any chambers was 4 weeks after my interview, and only once, unless I was telling them I had additional interviews coming up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:09 pm

OP here.

Thanks, that sounds right. I just don't see the point calling unless there is news.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:When should you follow-up after an interview and how often?

I have a few outstanding interviews, one of which was with my top-choice judge. That judge is still interviewing, but I think at least one other is done. A former classmate recommended that I follow up once every two weeks, but it seems like pestering. At the same time, I don't want the judges to think I'm not interested.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you.
Is this former classmate someone who might want to sabotage you? Or just someone who talks out of turn without knowing what he's talking about?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:49 am

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When should you follow-up after an interview and how often?

Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you.
Is this former classmate someone who might want to sabotage you? Or just someone who talks out of turn without knowing what he's talking about?
Haha, I don't think he's trying to sabotage me, though he's in a much better position than I am to follow-up as described.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”