How Much Contact With Chambers After Acceptance? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Fireworks2016

Bronze

How Much Contact With Chambers After Acceptance?

Post by Fireworks2016 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:21 am

I accepted a Fed. Dist. clerkship in July (to begin in 2017), and have spoken with the Judge/chambers probably only 1-2 times since then... Is that normal?

I don't have any pressing issues or concerns, but it just feels kind of awkward to not talk to chambers much and then show up to begin work next summer.

Boltsfan

New

Re: How Much Contact With Chambers After Acceptance?

Post by Boltsfan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:31 am

I had very little contact with chambers for the almost two-years between acceptance of the offer and starting work. Before getting my pre-work contact from the outgoing clerks, I think I only communicated with chambers twice over that period of time. I also felt a little weird about it but I understand that to be normal with my judge.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:41 am

Boltsfan wrote:I had very little contact with chambers for the almost two-years between acceptance of the offer and starting work. Before getting my pre-work contact from the outgoing clerks, I think I only communicated with chambers twice over that period of time. I also felt a little weird about it but I understand that to be normal with my judge.
Thanks for the response. It definitely puts me at ease. Would it be appropriate for me to send an email to the JA asking about a more official start date (they only had a ballpark date for the interview) and then ask about any next steps that I should be looking for? I don't want to bug anyone, so maybe I should just wait until they reach out again?

EDIT: I would also like to know the Judge's policy on post-clerkship employment. Is that inappropriate to ask about in an email?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:07 pm

I think it's normal to experience radio silence between acceptance and just before you start.

I'd probably wait a little longer if awkwardness were currently my best reason for reaching out - it's just easiest to ask about a start date, and you seem a little less intrusive, if you can say "I'm starting to look for apartments" or "My current employer is starting to ask when I'll be leaving" or something. That said, I don't think it'll be a big problem if you ask now, particularly if you're also seeking more detail about the process generally (e.g, should I wait for HR to reach out to me?).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:09 pm

It's normal. I don't think I had any contact between acceptance and about April.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:13 pm

Its perfectly ok to start asking questions through the JA as your start date approaches. I've found that exact dates can be a little up-in-the-air until they get close as out-going clerks finalize their plans. You also may need to ask for a formal letter of employment to show a new landlord.

Also kosher to ask about an employment policy.

Prana-9

New

Post by Prana-9 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:11 pm

If clerkship starts Fall 2017, it's still pretty early to ask for a starting date.

And not having any/minimal contact between offer and starting date is the norm for sure, so there's nothing to worry about.

tonidee

New

Post by tonidee » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Current Fed. Dist. Ct. Clerk here

I did not hear from Chambers regarding a start date until July/August (meaning when I was available to start). During the early part of the summer, I was asked for an updated resume and to complete some HR forms. You won't know your firm start date until the out-going clerk determines when she or he is leaving.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”