Was I being unrealistic? No Interview Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Was I being unrealistic? No Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Hello, I've applied over the summer and I have yet to receive any interview. I've been applying to SDNY/EDNY with the following credentials:

HYS, 60-40 split of H-P, note published, editor on secondary journal. One glowing letter, two strong letters.

This process has been so discouraging -- any advice would help.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Was I being unrealistic? No Interview

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:31 pm

For SDNY/EDNY, I wouldn't say I'm surprised... (especially not if you're at H, with how y'all publish notes weirdly).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:35 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:For SDNY/EDNY, I wouldn't say I'm surprised... (especially not if you're at H, with how y'all publish notes weirdly).
Was I being foolish in applying altogether, or was it at least worth a shot :(

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:43 pm

This is all beyond my personal experience, but are you applying for after graduation? I thought I'd seen people here suggest that SDNY/EDNY prefer applicants with work experience.

Also, even strong candidates struggle applying to that small a number of judges. It's just a really idiosyncratic process and there are a TON of candidates. I don't think you were foolish to apply, it's just really hard to predict outcomes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello, I've applied over the summer and I have yet to receive any interview. I've been applying to SDNY/EDNY with the following credentials:

HYS, 60-40 split of H-P, note published, editor on secondary journal. One glowing letter, two strong letters.

I'm a little surprised. A couple judges I talked to there have current clerks with the same credentials. Are you a 2L or a 3L? If 2L, it might be cause you're early. If 3L, where did you summer? (if you didn't summer, that might be why.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello, I've applied over the summer and I have yet to receive any interview. I've been applying to SDNY/EDNY with the following credentials:

I'm a little surprised. A couple judges I talked to there have current clerks with the same credentials. Are you a 2L or a 3L? If 2L, it might be cause you're early. If 3L, where did you summer? (if you didn't summer, that might be why.)
Hello, I'm a 3L and summered at V5. One of my references is a partner at those firms.... because I heard district court judges like that?? I don't know. I'm so sad.

ETA: Is it just not interview season or something :(

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

There being current clerks with similar credentials doesn't mean someone else with those credentials has a good shot, though. You don't know whether they had connections or something else in their background that made them appealing to that specific judge.

(I'm not saying those credentials give someone a *bad* shot, at all, it's just that there are so many people who want to be in NY/clerk for SNDY/EDNY, lots of eminently qualified people aren't going to get picked.)

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:For SDNY/EDNY, I wouldn't say I'm surprised... (especially not if you're at H, with how y'all publish notes weirdly).
It was certainly 'worth a shot.' Even for a candidate with much worse odds than yours, the chance at clerking is worth the investment of putting an application together. That said, Nony's right: you shouldn't apply anywhere other than SDNY/EDNY if that's the only place you'll be happy clerking, but it means that you have to be prepared to get far fewer interviews than people who apply more broadly. For many well-qualified people, it may mean no interviews and never clerking at all. There just aren't that many positions to go around.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Hello, I'm a 3L and summered at V5. One of my references is a partner at those firms.... because I heard district court judges like that?? I don't know. I'm so sad.

Depends on which V5 you worked at.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Are you applying for 18-19?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Hello, I'm a 3L and summered at V5. One of my references is a partner at those firms.... because I heard district court judges like that?? I don't know. I'm so sad.

Depends on which V5 you worked at.
I don't wanna be specific.... could you elaborate more?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:41 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It was certainly 'worth a shot.' Even for a candidate with much worse odds than yours, the chance at clerking is worth the investment of putting an application together. That said, Nony's right: you shouldn't apply anywhere other than SDNY/EDNY if that's the only place you'll be happy clerking, but it means that you have to be prepared to get far fewer interviews than people who apply more broadly. For many well-qualified people, it may mean no interviews and never clerking at all. There just aren't that many positions to go around.
Thank you for your kind words. It makes me feel a bit better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Nebby wrote:Are you applying for 18-19?
Yes I am! Sorry forgot to include.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:51 pm

I think it depends. Oetken, Sullivan, Furman, Engelmayer, Cote, and Nathan on SDNY are definitely out, but many others would be in play, especially the White Plains guys.

I'd think a hefty chunk of EDNY would be possible as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it depends. Oetken, Sullivan, Furman, Engelmayer, Cote, and Nathan on SDNY are definitely out, but many others would be in play, especially the White Plains guys.

I'd think a hefty chunk of EDNY would be possible as well.
Are they particularly grade-conscious, is that why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:22 pm

I'd say branch out. If it's a location issue, PA and NJ are good subs. Otherwise, try MA; there's not much loss of prestige there.

I suppose if you really must be in SDNY or EDNY and don't care about pay, Torres in SDNY is looking for volunteer clerks... if you follow her OSCAR position page, she has a link to a PDF on the court's website that asks for volunteer clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:Are you applying for 18-19?
Yes I am! Sorry forgot to include.
I'm class of 2017, and I received my SDNY clerkship at the tail end of Fall '15. I got the last 18-19 spot, and my judge hasn't been mentioned in this thread. You should broaden your search out to 19-20 or try D.NJ or D.Conn (new haven)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:27 pm

Thank you all for the advice. When would you say is a good time to throw in the towel though? It's been roughly 2 months now... so give it until January? February?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:55 pm

What do you mean by 'throw in the towel'? Stop applying for new positions or just assume that you're never going to hear back on ones you've already applied for?

In any event, I'm not sure what the purpose of setting a deadline like that would be. If you're applying to SDNY/EDNY for a single term (for which many judges are already done hiring), you should just put out apps to any judge for whom you'd be willing to clerk and then try to forget about it forever unless you hear back. (I suppose you'll eventually need to know for career planning if you're still in the running for a particular term, but it still seems early to 'throw in the towel' for that reason.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 pm

FWIW, I had 70/30 H/P at HYS with a couple of prizes and didn't get a SDNY interview. Ended up doing a COA clerkship instead. It's such a small number of judges you can't really count on anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I had 70/30 H/P at HYS with a couple of prizes and didn't get a SDNY interview. Ended up doing a COA clerkship instead. It's such a small number of judges you can't really count on anything.
Did you end up staying within the East Coast for your COA?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dc123

New

Post by dc123 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 pm

Honestly, the applications from HYS are all so similar it's really a crapshoot. I clerk for a judge at District Court in D.C. who told us to pull any of the HYS applicants who had "baking or cooking" listed as an interest because he loves food....Totally random way to select applicants but that's how he did it.
Last edited by dc123 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:47 pm

dc123 wrote:Honestly, the applications from HYS are all so similar it's really a crapshoot. I clerks for a judge at District Court in D.C. and told us to pull any of the HYS applicants who had "baking or cooking" listed as an interest because he loves food....Totally random way to select applicants but that's how he did it.
Amazing.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:47 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
dc123 wrote:Honestly, the applications from HYS are all so similar it's really a crapshoot. I clerks for a judge at District Court in D.C. and told us to pull any of the HYS applicants who had "baking or cooking" listed as an interest because he loves food....Totally random way to select applicants but that's how he did it.
Amazing.
I respect that. Judge wants free food. :lol:

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:36 pm

lawman84 wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Amazing.
I respect that. Judge wants free food. :lol:
I'm confused. How does an applicant's listing of baking as a hobby get the judge free food?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”