How many interviews did you have before you landed one? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: How many interviews did you have before you landed one?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:48 pm

I am definitely out of the ordinary, but I had one district court interview and one circuit court interview--both via skype--and landed both (for different terms, of course). Many of my classmates received offers on their second or third attempt though. My advice is to not get discouraged and remain confident; all it takes is one, whether that be your first or your tenth interview.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:34 pm

My first interview became an offer. Total surprise, I knew that the judge preferred to interview all candidates before making offers.

That said, any judge who interviews you is pretty fucking close to hiring you. Don't can't blame yourself for their idiosyncrasies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Twelve federal clerkship interviews (six district, six magistrate) from about 170-180 applications. Three of the twelve were by phone and the remainder were in person. The vast majority were in places to which I had no geographic ties.

No offers. I do not regret the time that I spent applying or traveling.

I ended up going straight into practice in an area of law that I find very engaging.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:10 am

I'm sure this widely varies but how long did it take for everyone to "conclude" their clerkship search?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sure this widely varies but how long did it take for everyone to "conclude" their clerkship search?
About 1.5 to 2 months from first applying to acceptance of an offer. Although, I've just started a subsequent clerkship search for a clerkship to follow my first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:59 am

I'm an outlier for sure, because I applied as an alum and ended up with three clerkships, but between 1 and 1.5 years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm sure this widely varies but how long did it take for everyone to "conclude" their clerkship search?
About 1.5 to 2 months from first applying to acceptance of an offer. Although, I've just started a subsequent clerkship search for a clerkship to follow my first.
Is this considered on the shorter side?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this considered on the shorter side?
I think so. It varies a lot, though - the biggest delay for most apps is the time between applying and hearing back to set up an interview, and the length of that delay depends mostly on when the judge/clerks decide to look at apps (and also whether your app is strong enough to be a 'first round, invite immediately' type or is more of a 'wait and see what the rest of the pool looks like' type). If you apply right as the judge is looking at apps, your search could be very short.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:29 am

Again, this varies. But mine was 1.5 months for my first clerkship (district court), and another three after that for circuit court.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:01 pm

I applied November of 2L and was hired (circuit court) in March of 2L. I was a transfer student, and I know at least one judge wanted to see my grades at my new school before deciding whether to interview me. I got 4 interviews in March of 2L (1 from a judge that invited me, and 3 additional interviews from other judges on that circuit that I contacted to let them know I'd be in town) and an offer same-day as my interview. So it was a ~4 month process overall, ~2 month process after getting my 2L fall grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”