AO 78 application Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

AO 78 application

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:23 am

I was offered a fed clerkship, and now I got to fill out this long Ao-78 application and fingerprint thing. The AO-78 thing demands jobs going back a decade, when I was in high school. Most of them I can't remember the salary or specific info for (like who my boss was, how many hours I worked, etc). How serious is filing out this thing perfectly for decade-old high school jobs? Anyone experience this?

Anonymous User

Re: AO 78 application

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:48 am

I'm in my second clerkship and both times I sort of half-assed the AO 78. I put the job and the dates, but I didn't fill in the pay, or the supervisor, or the phone number. I had the mentality that I was already hired, so it wasn't a big deal.

Perhaps some courts care more then others, but both my courts didn't have an issue. I would however, stress that you make sure your dates are accurate because it factors into when you are eligible for a grade bump.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:57 am

I think I remember doing the best I could with HS employers: the data is virtually never verified to the level of detail you're describing AFAIK.

I don't know if it matters, but I also saved a copy so that if I ever had to fill a similar form out again I could give consistent answers (even if they weren't checkable against any real world data) while saving myself a headache.

Torts Illustrated

New

Post by Torts Illustrated » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:58 pm

In my experience, it really doesn't matter. I feel like the AO 78 is the sort of thing that might matter for permanent, non-chambers court employees, but doesn't matter at all for chambers staff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 pm

did anyone have to do OPM stuff after this app? Or is it just the FBI background thing?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:12 pm

I didn't have to do anything. I filled it out and it went into the HR files.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”