COA worth a shot?? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

COA worth a shot??

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:17 pm

So, I'm at a T10, probably top 1/3 (no class rank, but a bit north of 3.5), moot court board. I know two of the professors that have written me LORs are very well respected and both are willing to make calls for me. Also, I have a district court clerkship lined up for 2017.

I'm getting some pressure to apply to COA positions for either 2018 or 2019 from my firm. My concern is applying to these position is a waste of time because my grades are not great. Im just trying to get an idea if this would be a completely futile effort, or if its worth a shot.

Thanks!!

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: COA worth a shot??

Post by rpupkin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:40 pm

You have a district court clerkship and professors willing to make calls for you. You've got a shot. Although you would be a significantly stronger candidate if you had top 10% instead of top-third grades, you're at least a couple steps above the "futile effort" level. Apply broadly.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:36 pm

You might want to think about asking your district judge about COA judges that former clerks have gone on to work for (sometimes the JA will have a list at the ready). Some COA judges will be willing to reach for someone with lower grades if they know they're coming in with a year of training from a district judge they respect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Thank you for the responses! I am suppose to meet up with my Dist. Judge in a few weeks for lunch, I guess I can pick his brain a bit about his COA relationships. I am also planning to touch base with my professors this week.

The firm just hired a hot shot appellate lawyer to QB appeals firm wide from our office. I think she wants a handful of associates with COA experience working with her. Thats the only reason the firm is a bit pushy atm. I think they want to keep her happy.

Again, thanks all. Any other input/opinions would be appreciated!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greendale16

New

Post by greendale16 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:27 pm

What firm is it? I'm, uh...asking for a friend.

Feel free to PM me.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you for the responses! I am suppose to meet up with my Dist. Judge in a few weeks for lunch, I guess I can pick his brain a bit about his COA relationships. I am also planning to touch base with my professors this week.

The firm just hired a hot shot appellate lawyer to QB appeals firm wide from our office. I think she wants a handful of associates with COA experience working with her. Thats the only reason the firm is a bit pushy atm. I think they want to keep her happy.

Or they over-recruited.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Clearly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thank you for the responses! I am suppose to meet up with my Dist. Judge in a few weeks for lunch, I guess I can pick his brain a bit about his COA relationships. I am also planning to touch base with my professors this week.

Or they over-recruited.
Thankfully, this is not an issue haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”