Exit Options Fed. District Court Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
immalawyer

New

Exit Options Fed. District Court

Post by immalawyer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:22 pm

Last edited by immalawyer on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Exit Options Fed. District Court

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:44 pm

I left to clerk for a d. ct. after a little over 2 years of practicing. One thing I didn't realize is that many firms will view you as a LATERAL, not a traditional post-clerkship candidate, and, thus, your chance of getting hired depends primarily on business needs (i.e., whether firms need more associates) rather than your raw credentials (which get you in the door more easily as an entry level or "traditional" (i.e., non-alum) post-clerkship candidate). If firms DO have a need, and you're targeting a litigation practice relevant to your clerkship, obviously your clerkship will help.

immalawyer

New

Re: Exit Options Fed. District Court

Post by immalawyer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I left to clerk for a d. ct. after a little over 2 years of practicing. One thing I didn't realize is that many firms will view you as a LATERAL, not a traditional post-clerkship candidate, and, thus, your chance of getting hired depends primarily on business needs (i.e., whether firms need more associates) rather than your raw credentials (which get you in the door more easily as an entry level or "traditional" (i.e., non-alum) post-clerkship candidate). If firms DO have a need, and you're targeting a litigation practice relevant to your clerkship, obviously your clerkship will help.
In the long run, then, are you happy with your decision to clerk?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”