Applying for clerkships 2-3 years out Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying for clerkships 2-3 years out

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:23 pm

So, I currently work in midlaw in a flyover state, and am hoping to make a transition to federal government work. One option I'm considering is applying to some D. Ct. clerkships in my home region, but I'm curious about how common it is for someone to apply for a clerkship after working for a few years, and how, if at all, the process is different? Do I still need to apply for a job 2 years in advance? I wouldn't have been a super-competitive candidate right out of law school (t25, top quarter or so), but I'm hoping my experience and desire to work in a less competitive district might work to my advantage - am I delusional?

I'm particularly anxious about LORs, given that by the time I would apply, I'll be several years removed from law school, but I also don't necessary want to tip off my current employer of my intentions.

Thanks all. Your wisdom is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Applying for clerkships 2-3 years out

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:17 am

I'm about 2 years in at an AmLaw 200 firm and currently applying to clerkships all over the US. I wasn't competitive enough to apply straight out (also wasn't interested at the time), but now I'm thinking about usao jobs down the line/want a break from biglaw/think the work would be much more interesting and so am applying. I had median grades at a t14 and only had 1 professor I was close to. I ended up asking that professor and another one I was less close to--both of them eagerly agreed. I don't think you'd have problems getting lors from law school profs because they know it's their job. The most they'll do is ask for a resume and for you to remind them how well you did in their class. For my third letter, I asked a partner at my firm. That partner and another very junior partner are the only partners I've told. I don't want to seem not committed to the firm, esp if I end up not getting anything. The only negative to this approach is that you won't know which partners have connections with judges and would be willing to make a call. So far I've applied to only about 30 clerkships, most starting in 2017 but a few starting in a couple of months. I've gotten one interview for one of the latter. You're way too late for terms starting this fall but there are still many open for 2017.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm about 2 years in at an AmLaw 200 firm and currently applying to clerkships all over the US. I wasn't competitive enough to apply straight out (also wasn't interested at the time), but now I'm thinking about usao jobs down the line/want a break from biglaw/think the work would be much more interesting and so am applying. I had median grades at a t14 and only had 1 professor I was close to. I ended up asking that professor and another one I was less close to--both of them eagerly agreed. I don't think you'd have problems getting lors from law school profs because they know it's their job. The most they'll do is ask for a resume and for you to remind them how well you did in their class. For my third letter, I asked a partner at my firm. That partner and another very junior partner are the only partners I've told. I don't want to seem not committed to the firm, esp if I end up not getting anything. The only negative to this approach is that you won't know which partners have connections with judges and would be willing to make a call. So far I've applied to only about 30 clerkships, most starting in 2017 but a few starting in a couple of months. I've gotten one interview for one of the latter. You're way too late for terms starting this fall but there are still many open for 2017.
OP here: Thank you - very helpful. Our goals are very similar. Have you been applying all over the place, or around your home market?

Best of luck in everything!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:33 pm

Starting a clerkship in SDNY/EDNY/DDC in the fall after three years at a firm. Feel free to PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”