bench memo as writing sample Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
timmyd

Bronze

bench memo as writing sample

Post by timmyd » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:19 pm

I would like to make one of my bench memos a writing sample. I will, of course, ask the Judge whether that is appropriate. The questions for the forum are (1) have any other clerks used a bench memo as a writing sample, and (2) how did you decide which to use?

lolwat

Silver

Re: bench memo as writing sample

Post by lolwat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:32 pm

I haven't used bench memos, but I would guess the advice is no real different than any other writing sample -- if your judge is fine with it, use whichever one reflects your best writing and legal analysis.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:52 pm

If your judge says yes, you could ask if there were any he thought stood out.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:03 pm

As a writing sample for what? I've not heard of someone using a bench memo as a writing sample. I'd recommend something self-contained, and understandable without reference to the other case materials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:16 pm

hdivschool wrote:As a writing sample for what? I've not heard of someone using a bench memo as a writing sample. I'd recommend something self-contained, and understandable without reference to the other case materials.
:roll: A good bench memo should be clear enough on the case materials to be self-contained. I got a competitive d.ct. clerkship using a bench memo as a writing sample.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”