2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:21 pm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:47 pm

I would work with the law prof to see if they can write a good letter instead. My concern is that an undergrad prof makes it look like you can't find other legal people to recommend you. But it is a tough choice.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I got my grades back and have a 3.89 cumulative (Mich/Northwestern/GULC) and a "star" prof told me he would "go to bat" for me re: clerkships. Should I be frantically sending apps to a couple feeders before OSCAR opens on July 1?
Talk to your clerkship advisor in career services. While Mich, NU, and GULC are far from fungible in terms of clerkship outcomes (10.2%/7.3%/3.5%, per LST), 3.89 is really fucking good at any of those schools. Congrats, and good luck.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:53 pm

deuceindc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I got my grades back and have a 3.89 cumulative (Mich/Northwestern/GULC) and a "star" prof told me he would "go to bat" for me re: clerkships. Should I be frantically sending apps to a couple feeders before OSCAR opens on July 1?
Talk to your clerkship advisor in career services. While Mich, NU, and GULC are far from fungible in terms of clerkship outcomes (10.2%/7.3%/3.5%, per LST), 3.89 is really fucking good at any of those schools. Congrats, and good luck.
NU just got grades back today, so that seems like the most likely school.

To anon--congrats. You're in a great position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:04 am

jbagelboy wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

Can you reach out to your professor? I believe I'm in the exact same position at likely the exact same school, but without such a strong relationship. The first meeting with the clerkship advisers seem to suggest that I would need 4.0+ or at least over 3.9 to take part in the summer apps. I'm unsure of whether I should be starting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

Can you reach out to your professor? I believe I'm in the exact same position at likely the exact same school, but without such a strong relationship. The first meeting with the clerkship advisers seem to suggest that I would need 4.0+ or at least over 3.9 to take part in the summer apps. I'm unsure of whether I should be starting.
Alumni from this school (99% positive based on the 3.9 thing and timing). It is really difficult to start the application process without the support of the school just in terms of logistics. Clerkship advising has shifted somewhat from when I was applying (I think) but it was a huge help to have everything proofread and LORs handled via the school. Talk to the clerkship person and say you feel you'd like to start applying though you don't technically meet the (somewhat silly) GPA cutoff for "early applicants" and see what happens. Also, good luck!

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:06 pm

How does researching judges even work? Like what am I supposed to be looking for? Ideology?? How good they are as bosses???? How likely they are to keel over before I start clerking (this is a srs question btw, is it safe to apply to like 90 year olds or should I be worried they'll die)???? Pls help.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:23 am

leslieknope wrote:How does researching judges even work? Like what am I supposed to be looking for? Ideology?? How good they are as bosses???? How likely they are to keel over before I start clerking (this is a srs question btw, is it safe to apply to like 90 year olds or should I be worried they'll die)???? Pls help.
Email former clerks and ask if they have a few mins to chat. Easiest way to find them is googling "law clerk judge X." Time consuming but one of the more effective ways to get info on a judge's style. If ideology is important to you, then you should feel free to sort by that too (or whatever other factors you consider important).

I think I've seen you in the HLS thread - if you're at H, check out the internal database on simplicity. It's kind of hard to find but contains a lot of great info from former clerks / interns going back about two decades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:13 pm

1L at H who just got grades and did considerably worse second semester. My overall GPA is still a hair above a 4.0, but that's entirely because my Ps were mostly in classes worth less credits and because of my really high grades first semester. I should have good recs from first semester professors, but IDK what to do about my third rec because my favorite prof from spring was in a class I didn't do well in. Is it even worth applying to feeders or competitive circuits or did I completely screw up my chances?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm

I got all my marks finally, as a rising 2L at Penn with 4.0 (I'm not sure where that puts me exactly) how competitive am I for circuit courts etc.? Two strong letters and one meh, no significant work experence.

jumpin munkey

New

Post by jumpin munkey » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Anon above at Penn -- if you want to PM me, I'm happy to help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

Honestly I just wrung the arm of JB. Having done so I'll be sending apps out with the office's blessing before OSCAR opens. Just reach out and they will work with you. I was pleasantly surprised. The ball is now rolling quickly. They openly acknowledged that they have been caught off guard with how fast judges are moving since the hiring plan dissolved a year or two ago. But take everything from that office with a grain of salt, of course. If you have friends at HYS call them and ask what their clerkship offices are advising. That's what I did and for the most part I have structured my apps according to that advice.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:36 am

Q... Is it appropriate to send paper apps without the LORs, with a note in the cover letter that LORs will be forthcoming under separate cover? I'm in a different situation than most and my priority is getting my materials to the judges asap, as long as it would not result in auto-ding. I do have my recommenders lined up, just estimate it would take at least a couple weeks for them to turn around the letters and send them to me to include in a packet. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:1L at H who just got grades and did considerably worse second semester. My overall GPA is still a hair above a 4.0, but that's entirely because my Ps were mostly in classes worth less credits and because of my really high grades first semester. I should have good recs from first semester professors, but IDK what to do about my third rec because my favorite prof from spring was in a class I didn't do well in. Is it even worth applying to feeders or competitive circuits or did I completely screw up my chances?
It's certainly worth applying. You're not out of the running, and you don't have much (anything) to lose by applying.

As far as the rec goes, if you have a good relationship with that professor, they will almost certainly be happy to write a letter despite your P. I've seen this happen several times.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:25 am

And just a a general piece of advice for everyone new to the process: try to stay positive and calm.

This is a long, unpredictable, tedious process that is full of highs and lows. But if you just keep chugging along, most of you will snag something at some point (even if it means working first). It may not (probably won't) be your first choice, but that's the way this thing goes.

Focus on what you can control and ignore the things you can't. And proofread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any updates re: Milan Smith (9th) ?
He has at least started interviews, no clue if any offers were made yet.
Anyone have any updates on Milan Smith?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:Not to dampen hopeful spirits, but the tippy top feeders are NOT sitting on their hands. They are really moving ASAP (if they haven't already filled up). But yes, this applies to a very small sect of top top judges. For most, waiting for Spring grades is fine and acceptable. For the most competitive, it's possibly too late.
This is doubtful, unless you can name a specific judge or judges?
Based on my (very limited) sample size, the judges that are moving for 2018-19 seem to be looking at rising 3Ls or graduates - people with grades and a proven track record. It would be insane for a feeder to hire before Spring grades come out for 1Ls/rising 2Ls (especially for Yale students, who don't even have grades after the first semester.) But maybe there are some insane ones? I don't know any personally, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.
I know of at least one Yale '18 student who had an interview with a feeder lined up before Spring grades -- i.e., with no grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

transferhopeful2147

New

Post by transferhopeful2147 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:40 am

Has anybody heard anything about Judge Fletcher? I know he started accepting apps in may..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:46 pm

transferhopeful2147 wrote:Has anybody heard anything about Judge Fletcher? I know he started accepting apps in may..
Pretty sure he isn't full.

He's also one of the most grade-selective feeder judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:32 pm

I was arrested (not convicted) for possession of pot when I was 17. I have strong grades (top 5% lower t14) and W/E, and 2 well-known profs going to bat. Am I fucked on the arrest?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was arrested (not convicted) for possession of pot when I was 17. I have strong grades (top 5% lower t14) and W/E, and 2 well-known profs going to bat. Am I fucked on the arrest?
Literally could have written this exact post except it was underage drinking when I was 19. It never came up during the process (I actually don't recall ever having to disclose arrests, although I imagine you have to when getting your clearance?) and I ended up with a solid 2/9/DC non-feeder.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:19 am

Anyone have any info on Morgan Christen--I know she was accepting apps a couple months ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:38 pm

What's the earliest after submitting apps that we should expect to hear back? And how long after submitting should we assume that we were passed over, if the judge is currently reviewing?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Unfortunately there is almost no way to answer this, since judges hire on all different kinds of schedules. I heard back within like 3 days of sending the app. Others hear weeks later when the judge gets around to reviewing applications. You kind of have to make peace with sending apps into a void and possibly never hearing anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Does anyone know if Tymkovich (10th) gives any boost to alumni applicants/work experience? Good, but not great, grades at HYS - probably top 1/4. District Court clerkship, 2 years at a firm, Colorado ties, desire for government work after the clerkship that makes an appellate clerkship still make sense at this stage of my career. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”