Switching Practice Groups Post-Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
chipperjones

New

Switching Practice Groups Post-Clerkship

Post by chipperjones » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:14 pm

I'm currently a first-year at a firm in a non-litigation practice group. I was hoping to get into litigation as a first-year but ended up in my third-choice practice group. I don't despise the work I'm doing in the practice group and like the other attorneys I interact with, but I've always wanted to litigate. I have every reason to come back to this particular firm after my clerkship. But is there a diplomatic way of handling the fact that I'll come back in litigation (and not in my current group)? I certainly don't want to make enemies.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

sundance95

Gold

Re: Switching Practice Groups Post-Clerkship

Post by sundance95 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:19 pm

1. Interview at other firms
2. Get offer at other firm in litigation
3. Inform prior firm of offer, state that you will come back if you can work in lit
4. If prior firm says no, take offer from new firm; if yes, return

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Switching Practice Groups Post-Clerkship

Post by rpupkin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:57 pm

chipperjones wrote:I'm currently a first-year at a firm in a non-litigation practice group. I was hoping to get into litigation as a first-year but ended up in my third-choice practice group. I don't despise the work I'm doing in the practice group and like the other attorneys I interact with, but I've always wanted to litigate. I have every reason to come back to this particular firm after my clerkship.
Why would you say that when the firm stuck you in your third-choice practice group? (ETA: It's even worse than that: the firm stuck you in corporate when you wanted to do lit.) It seems like you have at least one big reason NOT to return to this firm. Seriously, follow Sundance's advice.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”