Wash. State Trial Court Clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Wash. State Trial Court Clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:34 pm

My understanding is that superior court judges in Washington State sometimes hire clerks. I haven't been able to find much information online about hiring, though. And my law school isn't in the Pacific Northwest, so career services has limited information. Does anybody have any experience applying to these clerkships with these courts and can shed light on the process? My rough impression is that the best thing to do is to call chambers of each judge and inquire.

I'm interested in King, Pierce, Kitsap, Thurston, and Clark counties if that helps.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Wash. State Trial Court Clerkships

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Vermont Law School maintains a guide to state clerkship hiring. It's online, but you need a password to access it, but your CSO should be able to give you the password (I don't know the current password or I'd look).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:11 pm

The VLS guide is where I started. It primarily says apply directly to individual judges. That's helpful to know, but I'm trying to see if there's any firsthand knowledge out there too.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Checking with chambers is the best bet.

Incidentally, a few appeals court judges in Division One have openings:

https://www.courts.wa.gov/appellate_tri ... div1clerks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:04 pm

I used to work for King County Superior Court (pre-LS) and all of the clerks there were regular folks off the street. May have met one JD, but knew a few clerks during my time there. Their jobs were basically to make sure the court was ready for hearings (e.g. sound check mics for recordings), coordinate with counsel for exhibit prep, take notes during hearings for the record (minute sheets filed with court) and file orders for the judge. zero substantial work in terms of research, writing of any opinions, etc.

Just my two cents, but not the type of "clerk" seen in an appeals ct or USDCs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05 pm

OP here. Thanks for the input, all.

I'll likely send applications to the court of appeals, though my preference would be to get trial-court experience.

As to the person's experience working for King County Superior Court and interacting with clerks, that's definitely a bummer that there aren't clerks in the sense that this thread contemplates. That said, I did see a document on Lewis & Clark's website that indicated that a few of their alums had clerked in Washington State superior courts. So I'll still plan to reach out to chambers and see what I can find out. I'll post whatever I learn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”