General Timing Q for CoA clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

General Timing Q for CoA clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:52 pm

2L here who had not considered clerking until now. If you're interested in CoA clerkships for the year immediately following graduation, what is the general timing for applications? I understand some of the most competitive judges hired back in the summer between 1L and 2L, and others have hired last semester as well. Have I completely missed the boat here?

Sorry if this question is super basic, or has been addressed elsewhere!

flawedargument

New

Re: General Timing Q for CoA clerkships

Post by flawedargument » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:59 pm

There is no set schedule. You're not hopelessly late for '17-18. That said, you are quite far behind schedule, especially for competitive judges, and especially if you haven't put together an application yet (writing sample, letters of rec, resume, cover letter, etc. -- this takes more time than you might think).

Start looking on OSCAR. Check the "Let's talk ___ Circuit" threads. Apply to available judges as soon as you can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:34 pm

I think it's very safe to say a majority of CoA judges have hired for 2017-2018 already. And the ones who haven't will in the next couple months. My guess is by beginning of may it'll be 80 maybe even 90% done, except for maybe senior judges. In NY/DC many have already finished 2018-2019

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Post by stretchedtoothin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:22 pm

A majority of CoA judges have finished hiring for 2017; most will have finished hiring by the end of this semester. Almost all, if not all, will be done by next semester.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:42 pm

I know of non-feeder COA judges who are finished hiring for 2018 (or at least, all the slots not reserved for c/o 2018 are full).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”