Clerkship Bar Question Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Bar Question

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Is there any compelling reason to take the bar in the state where I'll be doing a D.Ct clerkship if I plan to practice in DC (and it's not D.DC)?

I have a D.Ct clerkship set up for after graduation near DC (WDVA, EDVA, DMD) but plan to work in DC after I clerk. Since DC's waiver policy is so liberal, I planned on taking a different bar and waiving in, figuring I'd get two admissions out of one test. I was thinking VA/MD where I'm clerking, but is there value in taking the NY bar instead? Would VA/MD be helpful when we get diversity cases and how does that compare to the benefit of being barred in NY when I don't plan to practice there, but surely will be on cases in SDNY/EDNY at my DC biglaw firm?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Clerkship Bar Question

Post by rpupkin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any compelling reason to take the bar in the state where I'll be doing a D.Ct clerkship if I plan to practice in DC (and it's not D.DC)?
No.

Backpacker

New

Re: Clerkship Bar Question

Post by Backpacker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any compelling reason to take the bar in the state where I'll be doing a D.Ct clerkship if I plan to practice in DC (and it's not D.DC)?

I have a D.Ct clerkship set up for after graduation near DC (WDVA, EDVA, DMD) but plan to work in DC after I clerk. Since DC's waiver policy is so liberal, I planned on taking a different bar and waiving in, figuring I'd get two admissions out of one test. I was thinking VA/MD where I'm clerking, but is there value in taking the NY bar instead? Would VA/MD be helpful when we get diversity cases and how does that compare to the benefit of being barred in NY when I don't plan to practice there, but surely will be on cases in SDNY/EDNY at my DC biglaw firm?
Definitely not, take the bar where it is most marketable from your firm's perspective...some DC firms have MD and VA work (I took MD), but from looking at your post, I'd say take the bar in NY. Especially since NY is now UBE.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”