What are my chances? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

What are my chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:17 pm

2L at a lower T14; 3.95 GPA; secondary journal; solid work experience before law school / 1L summer at USAO / interned with a federal district court judge during 2L.

What's within reach for me?

whats an updog

Bronze

Re: What are my chances?

Post by whats an updog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:16 pm

ignorant here - how can you have a 3.95 but not be on law review? or do you mean the secondary journal is in addition to LR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:40 pm

The LR competition at my school is part grades; part write-on competition. I got the flu during the write-on competition. Also, my first two semester grades were pulled up by a fantastic third semester in 2L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:41 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

middlemarch

New

Post by middlemarch » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Ask your career office/clerkship office. They'll have a better sense of what clerkships someone with your credentials has landed in past years. Without knowing your school (or class rank), anyone here would just be guessing in the dark what your "reach" courts are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:40 pm

As your write on sounds identical to mine, I'm assuming you go to the same lower T14 as me. I'm top 2%, exec board of secondary, great recommendations including calls. I've had absolute silence from every federal judge I could get a stamped envelope to in the past 7 months. I might have application issues (I have a lot of eyes on it right now to help me make it as good as possible), but just be wary that you should be casting as absolutely wide a net as you are willing to right now. Not having LR seems to be hurting me greatly so far, so I can imagine it might hurt you too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L at a lower T14; 3.95 GPA; secondary journal; solid work experience before law school / 1L summer at USAO / interned with a federal district court judge during 2L.

What's within reach for me?
Sounds like my T14. Currently clerking at COA. My judge does not care about LR as far as I have seen in terms of current interviews (though to be fair I had an exec position on LR when I applied so :shrug:). Cast a wide net. Writing sample matters a lot. Based on personal experience and my assumption that we went to the same T14, pretty much anything is in reach other than feeders. And most of 2/9/DC.

dctoga

New

Post by dctoga » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi guys,
I'm pretty sure we're all at the same school. Ask OCS clerkship lady for the recording/recap of Wednesday's judicial panel. It was hella informative and I think you will all benefit. Don't be discouraged, be strategic! :) Judges prefer someone with experience "because why would you hire someone straight out of law school, when you can find someone with more experience and a better understanding of how to interact with members of the bar?" <--- DDC judge
Seriously ask them for the information about what each judge (2 DDC and 1 DC Cir) told us to put BACK ON our resume that our own careers office keeps telling us to take out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”