Post-Clerkship Job Hunting (fall 2016 hiring cycle) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: Post-Clerkship Job Hunting (fall 2016 hiring cycle)

Post by JusticeJackson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon May 09, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Is anyone else have any insight into the job hunt? Seems like this forum is not nearly as busy as last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else have any insight into the job hunt? Seems like this forum is not nearly as busy as last year.
I'm getting my ass kicked, but I'm clerking as a 5th year, so I'm in a little different position than most other clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else have any insight into the job hunt? Seems like this forum is not nearly as busy as last year.
I'm getting my ass kicked, but I'm clerking as a 5th year, so I'm in a little different position than most other clerks.

I am clerking as a third year so would be returning (ideally) as a fourth year. Spent two years at a big law firm in NYC and now clerking on pretty respected district ct. Starting to hear back from firms

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am clerking as a third year so would be returning (ideally) as a fourth year. Spent two years at a big law firm in NYC and now clerking on pretty respected district ct. Starting to hear back from firms
5th year poster from above here. I'm in about the same boat, but what I'm hearing back is usually in rejection letters. Thankfully I can go back to the firm I came from. I just applied to a handful of super selective places and I guess I should have expected I'd miss their criteria.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newlawgrad

New

Post by newlawgrad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm clerking next year as a 5th, and the following as a 6th (dct then coa). This worries me. PM me, if comfortable.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:04 pm

newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm clerking next year as a 5th, and the following as a 6th (dct then coa). This worries me. PM me, if comfortable.
Don't do it.

newlawgrad

New

Post by newlawgrad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't do it.
Dick.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:39 pm

newlawgrad wrote:
newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't do it.
Dick.
It looks bad, in my opinion. And I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

newlawgrad

New

Post by newlawgrad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:50 pm

newlawgrad wrote:
newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't do it.
Dick.
It looks bad, in my opinion. And I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this.
edit: basically just thought you were saying don't PM. I'm an idiot.

I am trying to go AUSA without a doubt. But k know how insane that the odds are of that, especially since I won't simply take any AUSA spot in flyover. So I figured there would be at least some significant firms I could go to, even if I had to lose some seniority, in some major market.
Last edited by newlawgrad on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:53 pm

newlawgrad wrote:
newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't do it.
Dick.
I agree your interest from biglaw firms may be limited (but it won't be zero). If you're looking to clerk in order to make a transition to public interest, then that makes perfect sense and employers will understand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote: It looks bad, in my opinion. And I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this.
Curious to hear more about this -- widely held view? Why? Seems a bit strange.

newlawgrad

New

Post by newlawgrad » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote: It looks bad, in my opinion. And I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this.
I've seen quite a bit of the sentiment, though I think views are rather evenly split. The logic is that you are either: 1) leaving for public interest and if you are trying to back to a firm it's because you didn't get what you want and will eventually split for some sort of PI/government anyways (and maybe your firm wouldn't take you back); or 2) you left for a "break" and couldn't really hack and never really will be able to hack it and be fully devoted to the firm and billing 2500 hours. There's also an argument that those mid-level years are prime learning experiences and therefore the clerkship is not as beneficial. That's exacerbated by the fact that mid-level years are some of the most profitable for the firm.

How this works in practice, I really don't know...hence the PM request.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:14 pm

newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
5th year clerk here. My experience shouldn't worry you. Since I have an offer to go back to my prior firm, I'd only consider going to a far superior firm or super competitive USAO. I've landed interviews at top firms and USAOs, but no offers. Surprise, surprise, a good clerkship doesn't turn an okay resume into a stellar one. Sorry if my venting gave you anxiety!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:03 pm

newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've seen quite a bit of the sentiment, though I think views are rather evenly split. The logic is that you are either: 1) leaving for public interest and if you are trying to back to a firm it's because you didn't get what you want and will eventually split for some sort of PI/government anyways (and maybe your firm wouldn't take you back); or 2) you left for a "break" and couldn't really hack and never really will be able to hack it and be fully devoted to the firm and billing 2500 hours. There's also an argument that those mid-level years are prime learning experiences and therefore the clerkship is not as beneficial. That's exacerbated by the fact that mid-level years are some of the most profitable for the firm.
My views are similar to the above.

newlawgrad

New

Post by newlawgrad » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
5th year clerk here. My experience shouldn't worry you. Since I have an offer to go back to my prior firm, I'd only consider going to a far superior firm or super competitive USAO. I've landed interviews at top firms and USAOs, but no offers. Surprise, surprise, a good clerkship doesn't turn an okay resume into a stellar one. Sorry if my venting gave you anxiety!
No worries! Glad you can go back to your prior firm. I'm gunning for USAO anyways and am glad to hear you got some interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:24 pm

I just got this e-mail:
Good afternoon,

We are working with an elite NYC based firm (PPP above 3MM) that is presently interviewing law clerks for Fall 2016. If you are presently clerking, and finish in late summer/early fall, please feel free to forward your resume and law school transcript. We ask only that applicants or referred applicants have top academic credentials. If hired, your signing bonus will be in line with top-tier, New York firms. This applies to both NYC and D.C.

Please feel free to contact me by phone or email to learn more.

Many thanks,
John

John Wilson
Managing Director
GAD Legal Search
641 Lexington Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 537-9065
How many firms are based in NYC, have a DC office, and have PPP over $3 million? Cahill? Cleary? Anyone else?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:+1 to above. Can confirm that at least one lit boutique matched Quinn at $75k.
Would you be willing to disclose what other lit boutique was willing to match?
Yes, please. How about at least a city?
Some SF boutiques matched $75k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Does anyone know when the clerkship bonus pays out? Is it at the beginning? And is there a one-year commitment entailed in order to retain it? I am sure this varies from firm to firm, but I'd love to hear what people's recent experiences are with the conditions attached to a clerkship bonus. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when the clerkship bonus pays out? Is it at the beginning? And is there a one-year commitment entailed in order to retain it? I am sure this varies from firm to firm, but I'd love to hear what people's recent experiences are with the conditions attached to a clerkship bonus. Thanks!
My understanding at Quinn is that either it gets paid out after a year or they pay it out immediately but you have to agree to stay a year (and if you don't, you have to pay it back). Other big law firms pay it out immediately when you get there and there is no commitment to stay. Not sure about small, mid-size, or boutique firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got this e-mail:
Good afternoon,

We are working with an elite NYC based firm (PPP above 3MM) that is presently interviewing law clerks for Fall 2016. If you are presently clerking, and finish in late summer/early fall, please feel free to forward your resume and law school transcript. We ask only that applicants or referred applicants have top academic credentials. If hired, your signing bonus will be in line with top-tier, New York firms. This applies to both NYC and D.C.

Please feel free to contact me by phone or email to learn more.

Many thanks,
John

John Wilson
Managing Director
GAD Legal Search
641 Lexington Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 537-9065
How many firms are based in NYC, have a DC office, and have PPP over $3 million? Cahill? Cleary? Anyone else?
No idea. Quinn was an initial thought but they aren't NYC-based. Would be interested in knowing as I am looking in DC!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Is anyone totally striking out? I've been looking in the DC area since January and have had close to zero luck, except with small firms. I'm an Article I clerk, if that makes a difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone totally striking out? I've been looking in the DC area since January and have had close to zero luck, except with small firms. I'm an Article I clerk, if that makes a difference.
I haven't been doing great. I spent two years in biglaw, now clerking on pretty respected district court, and have been looking in DC at small lit boutiques/mid size places since beginning of February. Out of 6 places, got rejected at 4 and had interviews at 2. Haven't heard from either interveiw and one of them I had almost 7 weeks ago...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone totally striking out? I've been looking in the DC area since January and have had close to zero luck, except with small firms. I'm an Article I clerk, if that makes a difference.
I haven't been doing great. I spent two years in biglaw, now clerking on pretty respected district court, and have been looking in DC at small lit boutiques/mid size places since beginning of February. Out of 6 places, got rejected at 4 and had interviews at 2. Haven't heard from either interveiw and one of them I had almost 7 weeks ago...
This is the earlier anon poster, can I PM you? Let me know if you don't want to post your username and I can make an anonaccount

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm an Article 1 clerk as well, and it's been pretty barren. I did land somewhere (not biglaw, fwiw) through networking...I think that's the best approach.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”