Merits of State Supreme vs. Fed. District? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
robotrick

Bronze

Merits of State Supreme vs. Fed. District?

Post by robotrick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Hey everyone,

I think clerking would be a great opportunity and I'm starting to get my applications in order for 2017 spots. My law school performance puts me in the running for most State Supreme and Federal District courts, but I'm having trouble deciding which would be "better" to go after. I'm interested in litigation and have a 2L SA lined up in NYC so I have a solid fallback. So, considering any advantage clerkships might give in finding government or competitive PI work a few years down the line, is there a clear advantage to one over the other? The OCS adviser at my school seemed in a hurry and simply told me "both are good." I didn't find that too helpful, so I turn to you. Or is that really what it comes down to?

Odd background note: I'd like to try living in Texas, but I struck out in my TX interviews at OCI (presumably due to lack of ties + avoidance of Houston). Ideally, I'd get a clerkship there to try it out, and take a second crack at finding a firm/gov/PI job there afterward if I like it. Second choice would be near my family in the northeast.

Thanks in advance!

Companion Cube

Silver

Re: Merits of State Supreme vs. Fed. District?

Post by Companion Cube » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:32 pm

For litigation experience it doesn't get much better than a Fed. district court.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:45 pm

Companion Cube wrote:For litigation experience it doesn't get much better than a Fed. district court.
Yeah, this is pretty much correct. SSC is also good experience, and I think it can be a great way to break into a specific market where you don't have ties (assuming the SSC doesn't also want ties), but it's not quite as portable in that you will be learning an awful lot about one state's law (even though federal districts/circuits are different, I think federal transfers across jdx a bit more). SSC is also great if you want to think deeply about legal issues and improve your writing. For down and dirty litigation experience, though, federal district is more helpful. (I think it's also much more helpful if you want to work for the feds at some point down the line.)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:51 pm

No contest between the two for one interested in civil litigation = take the Federal District Court clerkship position because it is a trial, as opposed to appellate, court.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:For litigation experience it doesn't get much better than a Fed. district court.
Yeah, this is pretty much correct. SSC is also good experience, and I think it can be a great way to break into a specific market where you don't have ties (assuming the SSC doesn't also want ties), but it's not quite as portable in that you will be learning an awful lot about one state's law (even though federal districts/circuits are different, I think federal transfers across jdx a bit more). SSC is also great if you want to think deeply about legal issues and improve your writing. For down and dirty litigation experience, though, federal district is more helpful. (I think it's also much more helpful if you want to work for the feds at some point down the line.)
Yeah, I'd only take SSC over a D. ct. if I was 90+% sure I wanted to be in that state and was either targeting state gvmt jobs or an appellate lit career. They're both great experiences tho and I'd imagine dealing with issues of first impression and collaborating with other justices and their clerks could be a lot of fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:16 pm

los blancos wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Yeah, I'd only take SSC over a D. ct. if I was 90+% sure I wanted to be in that state and was either targeting state gvmt jobs or an appellate lit career. They're both great experiences tho and I'd imagine dealing with issues of first impression and collaborating with other justices and their clerks could be a lot of fun.
What y'all are saying makes sense. I do like the idea of appellate litigation, but I'm also not sure about staying the state long-term. I guess I could try for D.Ct. first and see what happens. I suppose it would be possible to do both if I really I wanted to/had the credentials?

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:18 pm

robotrick wrote:
los blancos wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
What y'all are saying makes sense. I do like the idea of appellate litigation, but I'm also not sure about staying the state long-term. I guess I could try for D.Ct. first and see what happens. I suppose it would be possible to do both if I really I wanted to/had the credentials?
A common two-clerkship path is d. Ct to circuit court. That's the way I'd try to go, personally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Some people combine SSC & D.Ct. clerkships as well.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:22 pm

robotrick wrote: What y'all are saying makes sense. I do like the idea of appellate litigation, but I'm also not sure about staying the state long-term. I guess I could try for D.Ct. first and see what happens. I suppose it would be possible to do both if I really I wanted to/had the credentials?
Staying in the state long-term doesn't matter so much as long as you want to be there for a few years. What is more important for leaving is the job you get after. You might as well apply to both if you are interested in both.

dctoga

New

Post by dctoga » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:12 am

If your State Supremes are elected, there's no better connections . . .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”