Socializing with lawyers who appear in front of your judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Socializing with lawyers who appear in front of your judge

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:18 am

Obviously I'll ask my judge when I start next week, but has anyone been told they can't socialize with lawyers who appear in front of your judge? I'm good friends with a few lawyers who regularly appear before him. (If it matters, one is a close friend of the judge, and I know that person's recommendation helped me get the job.)

emciosn

Bronze

Re: Socializing with lawyers who appear in front of your judge

Post by emciosn » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:51 am

I really don't see any problem with socializing with lawyers who appear in front of your judge--and neither did either of the judges I clerked for. Now, I wasn't close friends with any of these lawyers but I went to plenty of bar association, inns of court and other networking events (and was encouraged to do so by my judges). Obviously just be smart about what you discuss with your friends. I think you can talk about your work in general terms but obviously you can't talk about any cases or specifics.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”