Recommenders v. Grades for COA Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Recommenders v. Grades for COA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:48 pm

To what extent does a district court clerkship in the circuit, as well as a couple glowing recommendation letters from very influential individuals make up for good—not great—grades from MVPB? (The recommenders came into play after securing the d.ct. clerkship).

bruinfan10

Silver

Re: Recommenders v. Grades for COA

Post by bruinfan10 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To what extent does a district court clerkship in the circuit, as well as a couple glowing recommendation letters from very influential individuals make up for good—not great—grades from MVPB? (The recommenders came into play after securing the d.ct. clerkship).
Zero chance anyone can give you an accurate general answer on this. It depends judge to judge depending on their relationship with your recommenders. Just apply and cross your fingers. The district court clerkship will undoubtedly help you a lot.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To what extent does a district court clerkship in the circuit, as well as a couple glowing recommendation letters from very influential individuals make up for good—not great—grades from MVPB? (The recommenders came into play after securing the d.ct. clerkship).
What bruinfan10 said.

Also, in the COA chambers I clerked in, a recommender was "very influential" only if he or she personally knew my judge and picked up the phone to call on the applicant's behalf. Trust me, COA judges get hundreds of glowing recommendation letters from important individuals in the legal community. I wouldn't necessarily assume that your circumstances are special.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:16 pm

rpupkin wrote:
What bruinfan10 said.

Also, in the COA chambers I clerked in, a recommender was "very influential" only if he or she personally knew my judge and picked up the phone to call on the applicant's behalf. Trust me, COA judges get hundreds of glowing recommendation letters from important individuals in the legal community. I wouldn't necessarily assume that your circumstances are special.
That was even true in my district court chambers. My judge recognized a lot of peoples' names, but only a few people had special pull.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:02 am

In my experiences, letters & calls would only ever move an otherwise qualified (grades wise) candidate from the maybe pile to the call-in-for-an-interview pile. If you fell below my judges' expectations for grades, no letter would help. There's just so many more highly qualified applicants than there are spots, there's not really any reason to depart from whatever grade cut offs a judge establishes.

legalmindedfellow

New

Post by legalmindedfellow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Look for judges within that circuit (or elsewhere) who seem to want their hires to have a d ct clerkship first. (As opposed to someone who seems to hire out of law school). For those judges, recs + checking the district court box -> might get there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”