Renegging on Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Hibachi

New

Renegging on Clerkship

Post by Hibachi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:26 pm

thanks
Last edited by Hibachi on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Renegging on Clerkship

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm sorry that your parents aren't doing well. I think most reasonable human beings would be sympathetic to this, and that you're right, the judge will have plenty of time to find a replacement. And I'd be really surprised if the dct judge would call your current boss to complain - I just can't see any reason to do so, since you withdrawing from a job based on family needs doesn't have anything to do with your current work.

In any case, based on my experience, you'd be fine. Of course, I can't guarantee that will be the case in your current circuit/future district, or how those judges would react, but I think it would be awful enough for a judge to blackball you for going home to care for your ailing parents that people would sympathize with you, not the judge.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Assuming the judge is a reasonable human being (not always a safe assumption), I really think s/he would understand. This is a perfectly legitimate reason. And a year should be plenty of time to find a replacement.

jkech

New

Post by jkech » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:42 pm

I agree, the likelihood of the district judge calling and complaining is probably not high but, of course, there have been many reports from clerks on this board and others about judges with borderline personality disorders, so you never know. Since your current judge already knows your situation and is sympathetic to it, why don't you just ask him/her for her advice about telling the district judge. It would be likely your judge would say 'of course that judge will understand' and in the slight chance he/she does not and calls up your judge, the dist. court judge looks like the bad one.

Hibachi

New

Post by Hibachi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: And I'd be really surprised if the dct judge would call your current boss to complain - I just can't see any reason to do so, since you withdrawing from a job based on family needs doesn't have anything to do with your current work.
They don't know each other, so the only reason would be to try to screw me over. Normally, it's hard to imagine someone doing that but judges have all sorts of crazy expectations.

jkech wrote:I agree, the likelihood of the district judge calling and complaining is probably not high but, of course, there have been many reports from clerks on this board and others about judges with borderline personality disorders, so you never know. Since your current judge already knows your situation and is sympathetic to it, why don't you just ask him/her for her advice about telling the district judge. It would be likely your judge would say 'of course that judge will understand' and in the slight chance he/she does not and calls up your judge, the dist. court judge looks like the bad one.
I agree that this would be the ideal course of action. But, although the judge that I work for now is sympathetic, she will most likely tell me that I need to honor my commitment and then I'd really be stuck. Like I said, it's not necessarily rational - but if I had a conversation with her in 2 months and told her that the district judge had agreed that I shouldn't come, she wouldn't hold it against me.

Circuit judge is dealing with personal stress at the moment (and not very well), and also cares a lot what other people think of her, so she would absolutely flip out if she got a call from another judge about some shitty thing that one her clerks did.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Do these in the following order:

(1) Decide whether you need to renege. I'd really think it through. I say this with no personal judgment whatsoever, but the DJ will likely put on a good face about it but then be upset. It will likely affect his/her view of others from your school. My DJ had someone pull out for personal reasons (illness), and has since not hired from his school again, despite that it was one of the DJ's go-to schools before. And my DJ is actually a really cool guy; he just takes clerk hiring very very seriously and figures there are plenty of other great applicants at schools where the CSO would murder you for pulling out.

(2) Inform your current judge of what you're going to do, and why. I don't think she needs to be part of the decision-making process, though. You're just risking her being all like, "no, Billy, I really think you should honor your commitment," and you having to awkwardly overrule her, or fold.

(3) Call the DJ. Be apologetic and open.

I would try to expedite this process, as the DJ (and, by extension, your current judge) likely will wonder why if these events unfolded in x/2014, it took you until (x + 3)/2014 to pull out.

Sorry to hear about your situation; best of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do these in the following order:

(1) Decide whether you need to renege. I'd really think it through. I say this with no personal judgment whatsoever, but the DJ will likely put on a good face about it but then be upset. It will likely affect his/her view of others from your school. My DJ had someone pull out for personal reasons (illness), and has since not hired from his school again, despite that it was one of the DJ's go-to schools before. And my DJ is actually a really cool guy; he just takes clerk hiring very very seriously and figures there are plenty of other great applicants at schools where the CSO would murder you for pulling out.

(2) Inform your current judge of what you're going to do, and why. I don't think she needs to be part of the decision-making process, though. You're just risking her being all like, "no, Billy, I really think you should honor your commitment," and you having to awkwardly overrule her, or fold.

(3) Call the DJ. Be apologetic and open.

I would try to expedite this process, as the DJ (and, by extension, your current judge) likely will wonder why if these events unfolded in x/2014, it took you until (x + 3)/2014 to pull out.

Sorry to hear about your situation; best of luck.
Thanks. I figure I have about a 2-3 week window to make this decision before it gets too late to do so.

#1: your judge was mad at someone who presumably got cancer (or something similar)? And thinks that the CSO should pressure a person like that to go? That's insane.

Hibachi

New

Post by Hibachi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:44 pm

obviously that was me. Did not mean to post anon.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:44 am

Caring for your ailing parents is more important than any job. If you think they need your immediate support, go do it. You can overcome any professional consequences brought on by one nonsympathetic judge. You'll never get over not being there for your parents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hibachi

New

Post by Hibachi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:29 pm

forza wrote:Caring for your ailing parents is more important than any job. If you think they need your immediate support, go do it. You can overcome any professional consequences brought on by one nonsympathetic judge. You'll never get over not being there for your parents.

Agree, but I'm still trying to figure out what those consequences will be.

Any other thoughts? I think I'm going to have both conversations this week (current boss/future boss).

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Even if the Judge is not a reasonable human being, I bet the person he/she complains to could be and so no damage will be done.. is it possible to take your parents with you?

Hibachi

New

Post by Hibachi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:50 pm

thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”