Phone Call Recs Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Phone Call Recs

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:59 am

After your interview is there any specifics regarding asking for phone calls from recommenders (i.e. do they just call the standard chambers number? Is there anything wrong with outright asking for them to call? For non-professors should there be any direction on what to say?)

Anonymous User

Re: Phone Call Recs

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 pm

After the interview? I'm not convinced that after-interview calls actually do any good. Phone calls are generally to get your foot in the door; if you've had an interview, they're now looking at fit, which is difficult for a phone call to satisfy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After the interview? I'm not convinced that after-interview calls actually do any good. Phone calls are generally to get your foot in the door; if you've had an interview, they're now looking at fit, which is difficult for a phone call to satisfy.
Is this credited? Keep hearing the opposite.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Went ahead with the calls anyway (heard from a median candidate who got CoA largely on post interview calls and went ahead with it). As far as before an interview - I don't really know what the timeline of this would be. If I have a few judges in my #1 and pretty competitive District, is it then credited to ask your recommenders just call at a random time hoping to get your application pulled in order to hopefully get an interview?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Pre-interview is what I have generally seen recommended, too; you need to get pulled out of the pile of applications. If the judge doesn't like you after the interview I'm not sure what good a call from someone is going to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:05 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Pre-interview is what I have generally seen recommended, too; you need to get pulled out of the pile of applications. If the judge doesn't like you after the interview I'm not sure what good a call from someone is going to do.
Agreed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:16 am

Emma. wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Pre-interview is what I have generally seen recommended, too; you need to get pulled out of the pile of applications. If the judge doesn't like you after the interview I'm not sure what good a call from someone is going to do.
Agreed.
Good to know. If this is the standard procedure, when? Several of the judges that would fit that description are accepting applications but don't plan to interview for several months. The advice is appreciated

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Agreed.
when?

It's impossible to say. If you had access to each particular judge's hiring practices you'd probably want the calls to go out right about the time the judge starts looking at apps. But every judge is on a different schedule.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”