Rising 2L, where should I be now in the process? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Rising 2L, where should I be now in the process?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 pm

Rising 2L (c/o 2016). I haven't even asked my recommended yet, am I too far behind the ball considering the plan has totally disappeared?

Outside of the highly competitive judges, when should 2016 candidates be sending in applications?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Re: Rising 2L, where should I be now in the process?

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:27 am

You're definitely not too late. Many judges will want three semesters of grades. Go ahead and ask your recommenders soon, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:39 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:You're definitely not too late. Many judges will want three semesters of grades. Go ahead and ask your recommenders soon, though.
I would definitely try to figure out a way to get three great letters of recommendation. In my experience most judges only ask for two but there are quite a few that want three. If you don't have three people you can ask, I would recommend writing a note or "meeting" with a 1L professor you made a connection with for "advice" on applying for clerkships...I did this and my professor pretty much volunteered to write me a great letter of recommendation.

If you did not intern for a judge over the summer consider doing an externship this semester or next semester. This is a plus on your resume, but there also is the possibility that the judge will be willing to write you a letter of recommendation (many judges will not). If you did work for a judge over the summer consider reaching out to the clerk and testing the waters on how the judge feels about "writing" letters of recommendation.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 am

Funny, I thought all judges want at least three. I guess my info is outdated. Would make sense that some only ask for two, considering how early in their law school careers applicants are now expected to apply.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:18 am

Most that I've seen wanted three, but that was a couple of years ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:35 am

It was three letters across the board last cycle.

As for your original question, OP, you're already behind for some judges and you're way too early for others. There is no universal answer post-plan. There are DC Cir judges hiring for 2017 right now and at the other extreme district court judges hiring for 2015. There are probably some judges hiring for 2014 still.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:52 am

Three is, by far, the norm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:30 pm

I was the one who posted that two was the norm...that's been my experience, but I've been applying exclusively to bankruptcy judges. My apologies for giving incorrect information.

tonidee

New

Post by tonidee » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Some judges require three semesters of grades and some require four semesters. Generally, I have seen three letters of rec required.

Just remember that the interviews are rolling. I started prepping my materials during the middle of my 2L spring semesters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:21 pm

I think that where you should be in the process depends on what clerkships you are competitive for. If you are competitive for feeder clerkships, you probably should be applying now. (But if you are competitive for feeders, I suspect your school has already gotten in contact with you and prepped you on this). Last year, as the plan was disintegrating, it seemed like non-feeder COA judges and more competitive district judges moved at the end of my 2L Fall semester/beginning of Spring semester. Less competitive district court judges appeared to hire throughout my 2L Spring semester and through the summer. This is just all anecdotal information; I would talk to her clerkship adviser as well. Good luck!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:53 pm

aladdinismyprince wrote:I think that where you should be in the process depends on what clerkships you are competitive for. If you are competitive for feeder clerkships, you probably should be applying now. (But if you are competitive for feeders, I suspect your school has already gotten in contact with you and prepped you on this). Last year, as the plan was disintegrating, it seemed like non-feeder COA judges and more competitive district judges moved at the end of my 2L Fall semester/beginning of Spring semester. Less competitive district court judges appeared to hire throughout my 2L Spring semester and through the summer. This is just all anecdotal information; I would talk to her clerkship adviser as well. Good luck!
Many non-feeder CoA judges and district judges are already interviewing, or even full, for 2016.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Emma. wrote:
Many non-feeder CoA judges and district judges are already interviewing, or even full, for 2016.
Doesn't change the fact that most judges want 3-4 semesters of grades. All that means is that 2014 and 2015 grads have filled up a good number of the 2016 positions, effectively pushing many of us into 2017 or 2018.

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Emma. wrote:
aladdinismyprince wrote:I think that where you should be in the process depends on what clerkships you are competitive for. If you are competitive for feeder clerkships, you probably should be applying now. (But if you are competitive for feeders, I suspect your school has already gotten in contact with you and prepped you on this). Last year, as the plan was disintegrating, it seemed like non-feeder COA judges and more competitive district judges moved at the end of my 2L Fall semester/beginning of Spring semester. Less competitive district court judges appeared to hire throughout my 2L Spring semester and through the summer. This is just all anecdotal information; I would talk to her clerkship adviser as well. Good luck!
This is likely true. My comment was just based on my experience during the 2013-2014 application cycle. That cycle was likely different than the current (2014-2015) application cycle given that the plan was still ostensibly in existence at the beginning of my 2L year. Hiring is probably different this year given that the plan has completely and officially disintegrated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Doesn't change the fact that most judges want 3-4 semesters of grades. All that means is that 2014 and 2015 grads have filled up a good number of the 2016 positions, effectively pushing many of us into 2017 or 2018.
This is less and less the case. Many judges, both d.ct and CoA are now hiring rising 2Ls.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Last edited by Nelson on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

detlefschrempf1

New

Post by detlefschrempf1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:40 pm

Jesus Christ, how to people have respectable writing samples together already?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:29 am

detlefschrempf1 wrote:Jesus Christ, how to people have respectable writing samples together already?
They don't. We get a bunch of shitty writing samples. :|

But in my chambers, at least, we're primarily looking at the writing sample to gauge an applicant's writing skills; we care much less about analytical ability/content. The latter almost certainly improve between 1L and 2L, but I'm not sure that many students' writing ability really improves during 2L year. You can generally tell whether someone knows how to write from their 1L stuff. And if you can't write well in 1L, the chances of your writing being up to scratch a year later is pretty low.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”