Take Flyover Interview, or Keep Trying Elsewhere Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Take Flyover Interview, or Keep Trying Elsewhere

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm a recent graduate from MVP, top ~10%ish. (Probably just below the cutoff.) Will soon be working at a V5. I have prior extremely interesting work experience (from an interview standpoint, not a qualification standpoint). No science background. I have a spouse and a kid.

I've been applying for clerkships for the 2015 term. I'd like to do both a district- and circuit-court clerkship, if the stars align. So far, I've had four interviews. Three were in fairly desirable to desirable districts (think EDNY/NDIL/CDCA/EDVA/EDPA). One was in an extremely desirable circuit (think DC/2/9). Three dings, one still outstanding after two-and-a-half months. The first large batch of clerkship applications had a noticeable typo in the writing sample. (Word relettered an outline, and multiple eyes—of course including mine, many, many times, failed to see it.)

I recently received an interview request from a district in my home state, which is a flyover district, for a two-year clerkship. Given the way the judge hires, I have a better shot of getting a clerkship with this judge than I had with the other district court judges.

If it were just me, I'd schedule the interview. But my spouse isn't thrilled about the idea of moving to the flyover district for two years. If we have to, we'd make something work. This leads to three questions:

(1) For circuit court judges in DC/2/3/7/9, would going to a flyover significantly decrease my chances at getting a clerkship in one of these circuits?
(2) If you were in my shoes, would you take this interview, or would you continue in the (far) more competitive districts?
(3) Should I send an LOCI to the judge with the outstanding interview? (I'd take that judge over the flyover.)

Anonymous User

Re: Take Flyover Interview, or Keep Trying Elsewhere

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a recent graduate from MVP, top ~10%ish. (Probably just below the cutoff.) Will soon be working at a V5. I have prior extremely interesting work experience (from an interview standpoint, not a qualification standpoint). No science background. I have a spouse and a kid.

I've been applying for clerkships for the 2015 term. I'd like to do both a district- and circuit-court clerkship, if the stars align. So far, I've had four interviews. Three were in fairly desirable to desirable districts (think EDNY/NDIL/CDCA/EDVA/EDPA). One was in an extremely desirable circuit (think DC/2/9). Three dings, one still outstanding after two-and-a-half months. The first large batch of clerkship applications had a noticeable typo in the writing sample. (Word relettered an outline, and multiple eyes—of course including mine, many, many times, failed to see it.)

I recently received an interview request from a district in my home state, which is a flyover district, for a two-year clerkship. Given the way the judge hires, I have a better shot of getting a clerkship with this judge than I had with the other district court judges.

If it were just me, I'd schedule the interview. But my spouse isn't thrilled about the idea of moving to the flyover district for two years. If we have to, we'd make something work. This leads to three questions:

(1) For circuit court judges in DC/2/3/7/9, would going to a flyover significantly decrease my chances at getting a clerkship in one of these circuits?
(2) If you were in my shoes, would you take this interview, or would you continue in the (far) more competitive districts?
(3) Should I send an LOCI to the judge with the outstanding interview? (I'd take that judge over the flyover.)
(1) I don't think having a district court clerkship can ever decrease your chances at getting an appellate clerkship (except for those judges who want people straight out of law school, which are increasingly few and far between).
(2) No. If you've had interviews in the districts you've listed, I'd work another year and apply again. You'll be more desirable in most judges' eyes, and while there's not a downside to clerking in flyover territory, if you get a district clerkship in a desirable circuit the circuit judges are on the whole going to be more likely to look at your app and care about your judge's recommendation. Plus your spouse doesn't want to do it. Plus, two-year district court clerkships don't sound very fun.
(3) Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:41 pm

OP. I actually don't have a problem with a two-year clerkship. The outstanding interview and another (more prestigious district) interview were both two years, and I'd gladly take either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a recent graduate from MVP, top ~10%ish. (Probably just below the cutoff.) Will soon be working at a V5. I have prior extremely interesting work experience (from an interview standpoint, not a qualification standpoint). No science background. I have a spouse and a kid.

I'm a current D. Ct. clerk in a quasi-flyover district (certainly not one of the tony districts you listed).

(1) Absolutely not.
(2) I would (a) schedule it for the latest date that they volunteer, (b) sit on the offer, if you get it, for as long as possible, but then (c) accept if you don't have anything else before the expiration date.
(3) Sure. And, by the way, (2) can only help your odds of success with (3).

I was a marginal D. Ct. clerkship candidate, but got the job largely due to fit with my judge. I've since had interviews with circuit judges--again, no one super-posh--who I had no shot at prior to getting my D. Ct. clerkship.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:06 am

It sounds like you're certainly a competitive candidate. Does it matter whether you do 2015 or 2016? It might be worth taking the risk of waiting for the next cycle (if the one interview from a few months ago doesn't pan out). I don't think a two-year clerkship is necessarily a bad idea, but in your case, where you'd be moving somewhere less desirable for your family, it might be too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 am

How old is your kid?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:44 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:It sounds like you're certainly a competitive candidate. Does it matter whether you do 2015 or 2016? It might be worth taking the risk of waiting for the next cycle (if the one interview from a few months ago doesn't pan out). I don't think a two-year clerkship is necessarily a bad idea, but in your case, where you'd be moving somewhere less desirable for your family, it might be too much.
If it matters, it's only because of age. I'm in my early 30s, and would like to get back into my firm before I'm 58.
MSPeast wrote:How old is your kid?
1. Also, if it matters, we're hoping on having another kid in the not-so-distant future. (See my age, which is the same my spouse's.)

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:46 am

Okay, I was just wondering if you had to deal with switching schools or anything like that. But your kid is young enough that you can deal with moving twice two years apart.

ETA: If your parents still live in the flyover state, they'll get to see their grandkid(s) more often.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:23 pm

A clerk at fly-over-district here,

1) no district court clerkship will decrease your chance. Any district court clerkship will increase your chance. The question is to what degree does it stand out from the rest of the application pool for the circuit. This depends on which circuit the district court clerkship is in and how connected your judge is with judges in his district and others. So this is something to be determined case by case.

2) I will not take the interview unless I am sure I will take it. I am from a big city and currently clerking at fly-over district for two years. I enjoy my work and I am glad I made the decision to take it. However, there isnt much to do after work and its usually the same thing over and over. I am single so I don't mind it and I stay busy mostly. Infact, I appreciate the slow pace of life as a break from the hustle of big city life. So do not underestimate that factor and make sure you are fine with that aspect. If you were single, not as big of concern, but because you mentioned the wife and the kid and the fact it is a two year term, make sure you give that some weight.

3) I will definitely do a LOCI to the judge. Tell him about your situation and how you do not want to risk losing the opp to clerk for him if you are still in the run for the gig.

Lastly, I will say that you have good credentials, if you are in no rush, you will find something soon. So it is really a win win situation for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 pm

OP here.

Received a call (directly from the judge, no less) setting up an interview for an East Coast district court position, one week before the flyover interview. Fingers crossed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Received a call (directly from the judge, no less) setting up an interview for an East Coast district court position, one week before the flyover interview. Fingers crossed.
Is it for a DNJ judge?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Is it for a DNJ judge?
No, it's a New England district.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:54 pm

And another strikeout.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”