Insane to turn down a V10 with no replacement lined up? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Insane to turn down a V10 with no replacement lined up?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Under what circumstances is it a defensible decision to turn down an offer to a biglaw job in a primary legal market (think a V10 in LA, DC, NY, CHI) in the hopes of obtaining a post-clerkship position in a different primary legal market?

My clerkship is at an A-III district court outside of any of these markets. I have an offer to return to my firm post-clerkship. But would deeply prefer to practice in another primary location for personal reasons, and the firm does not have an office in that city. I would need to respond to my offer letter before what I understand to be the main "hiring period" for term clerks looking to transition firms, so I would be flying blind on my chances.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts. Good luck to all who are job-hunting, also, whatever your circumstances.

(Details slightly but not materially changed here for anonymity.)

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Re: Insane to turn down a V10 with no replacement lined up?

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Accept the offer until you find a firm in your preferred market.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:57 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:Accept the offer until you find a firm in your preferred market.
this. you aren't burning a relevant bridge; you said that the firm doesn't even have an offer in your preferred market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:58 pm

I am literally in the exact position. I accepted my offer and will shop around during the clerkship. Hopefully things work out - good luck.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Worst case scenario, you take the firm offer and don't find anything for a bit. Finding a head hunter in the location you want to end up is easy if you're already working at a firm and carries virtually zero risk.

Banking on getting the job in that location during your clerkship is more risky.

That's really as simple as it gets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am literally in the exact position. I accepted my offer and will shop around during the clerkship. Hopefully things work out - good luck.
Interesting. I had assumed this was an either-or. It's okay to accept the offer and still shop around? I'd assumed if I accepted I was tacitly committing to at least a year at the firm.

Good luck to you, too. (And thanks for all the replies).

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am literally in the exact position. I accepted my offer and will shop around during the clerkship. Hopefully things work out - good luck.
Interesting. I had assumed this was an either-or. It's okay to accept the offer and still shop around? I'd assumed if I accepted I was tacitly committing to at least a year at the firm.

They aren't committing to keep you around for a year, so why should you owe them that courtesy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:11 pm

As others said, accept the offer then shop around during the clerkship. I did just this and ended up at my dream firm. When I let my former firm know, they simply wished me well. It's business.

Remember, the firm will not hesitate to rescind your offer if it experiences financial difficulties. You should feel no compunction about looking out for number one.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:17 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They aren't committing to keep you around for a year, so why should you owe them that courtesy?
I thought they just fuck you on the clerkship bonus and make you reimburse them for bar course expenses and any stipend/moving expenses they may have given you if you leave before a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”