Help with a frustrating situation Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Help with a frustrating situation

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:45 pm

I'd like all your input on what you'd do in this situation. I accepted a state level clerkship in the Spring to begin in a few weeks. Prior to accepting a clerkship, I was told by my dream job (gov't job-won't get more specific than that) that there were no openings in the near future and he'ed recommend I take the clerkship and that I should stay in contact during my clerkship. Well today I get an email saying the gov't job would like to schedule a second round interview. So I reached out to a contact at the gov't position and was told that they had a few immediate openings as well as projected openings in the future. Here is my question to all of you: would you still go to the interview? If I were to get offered and told that I'd need to start immediately or risk losing the position what would you do, keeping in mind that the position would be my dream job (and by dream job I don't just mean field, I mean location, office, etc.)

Citizen Genet

Silver

Re: Help with a frustrating situation

Post by Citizen Genet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like all your input on what you'd do in this situation. I accepted a state level clerkship in the Spring to begin in a few weeks. Prior to accepting a clerkship, I was told by my dream job (gov't job-won't get more specific than that) that there were no openings in the near future and he'ed recommend I take the clerkship and that I should stay in contact during my clerkship. Well today I get an email saying the gov't job would like to schedule a second round interview. So I reached out to a contact at the gov't position and was told that they had a few immediate openings as well as projected openings in the future. Here is my question to all of you: would you still go to the interview? If I were to get offered and told that I'd need to start immediately or risk losing the position what would you do, keeping in mind that the position would be my dream job (and by dream job I don't just mean field, I mean location, office, etc.)
Question: would this dream job have you practicing in front of this judge?

If so, that's a very good reason not back out.

If not, I'd seriously consider reneging on the clerkship. I'm usually in the camp that you never say no to a judge, but if this really is the thing you want and it won't burn bridges in the long run, I'd at least consider it. Not an outright yes, but I would definitely look long and hard at it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd like all your input on what you'd do in this situation. I accepted a state level clerkship in the Spring to begin in a few weeks. Prior to accepting a clerkship, I was told by my dream job (gov't job-won't get more specific than that) that there were no openings in the near future and he'ed recommend I take the clerkship and that I should stay in contact during my clerkship. Well today I get an email saying the gov't job would like to schedule a second round interview. So I reached out to a contact at the gov't position and was told that they had a few immediate openings as well as projected openings in the future. Here is my question to all of you: would you still go to the interview? If I were to get offered and told that I'd need to start immediately or risk losing the position what would you do, keeping in mind that the position would be my dream job (and by dream job I don't just mean field, I mean location, office, etc.)
Question: would this dream job have you practicing in front of this judge?

If so, that's a very good reason not back out.

If not, I'd seriously consider reneging on the clerkship. I'm usually in the camp that you never say no to a judge, but if this really is the thing you want and it won't burn bridges in the long run, I'd at least consider it. Not an outright yes, but I would definitely look long and hard at it.

OP Here. No the dream position would not have me in front of this particular judge, though the judge may be friendly with judges that I may be in front of (I don't know for sure, just speculating).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:20 pm

From what I hear, state level judges are not as assholish about reneging that federal judges. In your case, I would’ve reneged easily if it was few months out, the problem is that you are renegging few weeks out--which puts the judge in a very difficult position. SO it really boils down to your judge's temperament. For example, I had an offer from a magistrate judge and accepted but later on I got an offer from a district judge. I asked the mag. judge if I can take the district judge offer and she said "I would". So you just have to gauge if your judge is one of those understanding judges or those vindictive assholes that would make your life miserable if you reneg (especially if your dream job is in the same state as your state judge). Right now, you only have one job. The second job is just a possibility. I do not see why it will hurt to interview for the second job. I would be very cautious of not losing the only job you have. Talking to the judge's current/former clerk's indirectly about his temperament (without showing your cards) might be the best way to go. Having said all that, if it was me, if it is a state trial judge, I got the dream job for certain...I would probably reng lol At the end of the day, the judge won't have a problem replacing you, if he thought somone was a better fit than you, he wouldnt have offered you the job out of some sort of loyality or sentiment -- so just the same, you have to do what's best for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:28 pm

OP. I can give a bit more info, it's not a trial level judge but rather appellate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:11 pm

There isn't going to be a right answer here. It's completely dependent upon your judge.

lawyerdown27

New

Post by lawyerdown27 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:10 am

OutCold wrote:There isn't going to be a right answer here. It's completely dependent upon your judge.
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”