Part-time judicial clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Part-time judicial clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:42 pm

I've noticed at least two judges offering 16-20 hour per week clerkships. Do the judges get some benefit from only hiring half-time? Is the clerkship still viewed as worthwhile? And lastly, if you take one of these clerkships, you are unable to practice law outside of it, correct?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Part-time judicial clerkships

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:55 pm

I think it would still be worthwhile - you'd be doing the same work. I've seen this happen when a judge has a career clerk who wants to go part time. Mostly I've seen these go to career-ish clerks - people floating around a given courthouse from judge to judge as needs require - but that's just what I've seen, not a requirement or anything. I suspect you would still not be able to practice outside the clerkship - the conflict of interest/impropriety issues don't go away because you're part time - but you'd have to check with the judge to be certain.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do the judges get some benefit from only hiring half-time? Is the clerkship still viewed as worthwhile? And lastly, if you take one of these clerkships, you are unable to practice law outside of it, correct?
1. There's some benefits. Judges are allowed to split positions so they still technically get 40 hours of work from someone. Having multiple people allows him to diffuse the work better, have some clerks specialize on a particular field. (I know of a judge who has a part-time who just handles running schedules and Speedy Trial issues on his criminal docket.)

I think more commonly, judges just want to give working parents a job. Most of the permanent clerks I know are mothers with children who left BigLaw. They're incredible attorneys, but just need a better work life balance. I think a lot of Judges are attuned to that and since they aren't driven by a bottom-line, they accommodate it.

2. Worthwhile, but if you stay in too long you may experience friction transitioning to other work.

3. Yup. You are correct.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:23 pm

I considered doing a part-time clerkship (it was 60% time) with the thought that I'd do a terminal masters grad degree (MBA/MPH/MPA) in the balance of the time. TBF, if you come in at JSP-13 in a bigger city, the pay isn't that bad -- at 60% salary, it's probably in the $55k-$65k ballpark.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”