Am I Clerkship Material? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anon919

New

Am I Clerkship Material?

Post by anon919 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:29 pm

I spoke to a member of my school's faculty who urged me to aim for a district court magistrate clerkship. Really didn't think I was clerkship material. I wouldn't mind a confidence boost or dose of reality from posters in the know about the general profile federal clerkship candidates. Here are my stats:

- School: Recent T2 grad in NYC; cum laude [graduated in top 15%]
- Law School Extras: Law Review, Moot Court E-Board, Affinity group leadership position
- Post-Law School Plans: Headed to V15 in fall 2014 [litigation]
- Prior Experience: 8 years of work experience [including 3 years with a V5's litigation dept]
- Negative: Never interned for a judge throughout law school
- Others: URM [not sure if it matters for clerkships]

Would I be a viable candidate for the 2015-2016 term or even later? Thoughts?

EDIT: Please flag or move if I should've posted this in another thread. I did a quick search and didn't find anything on point that answered similar inquiries.

Shaggier1

Silver

Re: Am I Clerkship Material?

Post by Shaggier1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Will be an uphill battle, but worth a shot. If I was in your position, I'd apply broadly for 2016 district court clerkships. Leverage the work experience you will have acquired by then. Also considering applying to nominees who will need someone to start during the academic year (so that you will not be competing with law students).

If you already have a V15 spot locked up, I am not sure how much a magistrate clerkship will do for you. Depends on your desired exit options though, I suppose...

anon919

New

Post by anon919 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:09 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Will be an uphill battle, but worth a shot. If I was in your position, I'd apply broadly for 2016 district court clerkships. Leverage the work experience you will have acquired by then. Also considering applying to nominees who will need someone to start during the academic year (so that you will not be competing with law students).

If you already have a V15 spot locked up, I am not sure how much a magistrate clerkship will do for you. Depends on your desired exit options though, I suppose...
Thanks. About the last part of your post - are you saying that a mag. clerkship is not really that big of a deal or looked upon as favorably as a regular district court clerkship?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:47 am

Magistrate clerkships are often not looked at as favorably as district court clerkships. It depends on the district and what the judges in that district do, but magistrate judges often handle much more routine, less complex matters and are unlikely to handle a lot of trials (in civil matters, they usually do all the discovery stuff; in criminal they do a lot of changes of plea/status conferences; they need consent of the parties to do felony trials). You can still learn a lot of valuable stuff working for a magistrate judge, and I've been told that (in part because of the discovery stuff) magistrate court clerks have a lot of contact with the parties, which is useful for networking (again, that might be district-specific). A magistrate clerkship may be less interesting to employers, depending on which judge and district.

If you have an offer at a V15, you might want to ask someone there what the firm thinks of magistrate clerkships and whether they'd keep your spot for one. (Also, just apply to district court clerkships as well - you may not have a great shot, but if you're going to apply at all there's not much point limiting yourself.)

mw115

New

Post by mw115 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 am

I know a fair amount of districts allow magistrate judges to hear entire cases with consent of the parties.

Clekring for a magistrate judge in places that handle a large amount of patent litigation (EDTx/Del/NDCal) are looked very favorably on by those in IP due to the fact that a) they deal with most of the pre-trial issues, and b) often try the cases themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anon919

New

Post by anon919 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks for all the replies. The magistrate judge is in the EDNY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:14 pm

IMO I will do the firm thing for a couple of years and re-apply as an alum to district judges. I really don't see the value of you clerking for a magistrate judge under your circumstances, unless you plan on subsequently clerking for a district judge and work your way up. Even then, you would be taking a major gamble to leave a guaranteed big law gig for a magistrate clerkship and hoping to land a subsequent district judge gig. Further, unless you subsequently plan on clerking for a district judge after the magistrate clerkship, re-entering big law is going to be very difficult for you from a magistrate clerkship as well. Ofcourse, there are exceptional situations/judges so I am speaking of as a general rule. Also, if your firm is willing to hold your offer for you during your magistrate clerkship (granted you get one) or you are open to opportunities other than big law/ bigfed positions, then it is a different situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:38 pm

I am fairly similar to you in terms of credentials -- class of 2013, went to a school that is a little bit more highly ranked than yours, but my class rank was also a little lower than yours. I was not on any journal, had no prior judicial experience, was K-JD and currently work at an NLJ 250 (350?) firm. I have a district court clerkship lined up for 2015.

I applied very broadly (70 or so applications) and had a couple of interviews that I never wound up doing because I got an offer from my first interview. My point is, I think you can get a district court clerkship. Go ahead and start applying now for 2015, but realize that a lot of 2015 hiring is done, and you may have to wait for 2016. May be an uphill battle to some degree, but I think you have a good shot.

anon919

New

Post by anon919 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
If you have an offer at a V15, you might want to ask someone there what the firm thinks of magistrate clerkships and whether they'd keep your spot for one. (Also, just apply to district court clerkships as well - you may not have a great shot, but if you're going to apply at all there's not much point limiting yourself.)
Any advice as to whom I should pose this question at the firm? I actually didn't summer there and was 3L hire after completing a 1L and 2L summer at a V60. I was asked during my callback interviews whether I had considered clerking and if not, why? It seemed rather clear that the firm want their lit associates to clerk. I just never gave it much thought because I honestly thought a T2 candidate outside of the top 10% wouldn't have a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:58 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Magistrate clerkships are often not looked at as favorably as district court clerkships. It depends on the district and what the judges in that district do, but magistrate judges often handle much more routine, less complex matters and are unlikely to handle a lot of trials (in civil matters, they usually do all the discovery stuff; in criminal they do a lot of changes of plea/status conferences; they need consent of the parties to do felony trials). You can still learn a lot of valuable stuff working for a magistrate judge, and I've been told that (in part because of the discovery stuff) magistrate court clerks have a lot of contact with the parties, which is useful for networking (again, that might be district-specific). A magistrate clerkship may be less interesting to employers, depending on which judge and district.

D.ct. clerk here. I wholly second this.

In my district, MJs do A LOT of cases from beginning to end just like the DJs. We also refer a ton of cases for MJs for Findings & Recommendations. We DJ clerks handle primarily dispositive motions (MTDs, MSJs) and trials. The MJs and their clerks definitely do a lot of routine, rote, boring shit I do not envy (Social Security cases come to mind), but overall I think MJ clerks here get a broader range of experience. How valuable that experience is and what it translates to is hard to gauge. Almost all of them came from private practice or elsewhere and have no plans to leave or are heading off to other gov't jobs.

But they also have to work longer hours. :P

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Lean on the professor (and your other recommenders) hard for both recs and phone calls. A lot of stuff can happen if your recommenders are connected to the right judge(s).

anon919

New

Post by anon919 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am fairly similar to you in terms of credentials -- class of 2013, went to a school that is a little bit more highly ranked than yours, but my class rank was also a little lower than yours. I was not on any journal, had no prior judicial experience, was K-JD and currently work at an NLJ 250 (350?) firm. I have a district court clerkship lined up for 2015.

I applied very broadly (70 or so applications) and had a couple of interviews that I never wound up doing because I got an offer from my first interview. My point is, I think you can get a district court clerkship. Go ahead and start applying now for 2015, but realize that a lot of 2015 hiring is done, and you may have to wait for 2016. May be an uphill battle to some degree, but I think you have a good shot.
That is very encouraging. Thanks again for responding.
Doorkeeper wrote:Lean on the professor (and your other recommenders) hard for both recs and phone calls. A lot of stuff can happen if your recommenders are connected to the right judge(s).
The faculty member that urged me to apply is a direct contact with the judge. He has been absolutely awesome and even went to speak to the judge directly. I was recently given an interview. My reason for this thread or more less is to gauge if I'm out of my league since the interview is not for another 2 weeks.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:17 pm

My reason for this thread or more less is to gauge if I'm out of my league since the interview is not for another 2 weeks.
If you got the interview, then you are not out of your league

anon919

New

Post by anon919 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
My reason for this thread or more less is to gauge if I'm out of my league since the interview is not for another 2 weeks.
I guess. But it felt more like a hookup based on the faculty member advocating so strongly on my behalf. But I'll definitely take that and this thread as reassurance.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:59 pm

anon919 wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
I guess. But it felt more like a hookup based on the faculty member advocating so strongly on my behalf. But I'll definitely take that and this thread as reassurance.
Happens all the time, best way to get the job. You can totally do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:36 am

You should definitely apply. I would especially apply in the areas that are near your hometown and your school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”