Federal Circuit for Non-Patent? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Federal Circuit for Non-Patent?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Does anyone know if any judges on the Federal Circuit like to have non-patent clerks - ones who take the Federal Claims, ITC, CIT, and the non-patent federal statutes appeals? I'd be interested in doing that but absolutely loathe patent work. Probably the correct response is, "Don't go to the Federal Circuit," but the other stuff sounds interesting enough that I'd enjoy the experience.

Anonymous User

Re: Federal Circuit for Non-Patent?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if any judges on the Federal Circuit like to have non-patent clerks - ones who take the Federal Claims, ITC, CIT, and the non-patent federal statutes appeals? I'd be interested in doing that but absolutely loathe patent work. Probably the correct response is, "Don't go to the Federal Circuit," but the other stuff sounds interesting enough that I'd enjoy the experience.

Not directly responsive, but I was talking to a Fed. Cir. clerk once, and he bitched about all the non-patent cases he has to do, and made it sound like all his co-clerks were patent-minded, and that his was a common sentiment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if any judges on the Federal Circuit like to have non-patent clerks - ones who take the Federal Claims, ITC, CIT, and the non-patent federal statutes appeals? I'd be interested in doing that but absolutely loathe patent work. Probably the correct response is, "Don't go to the Federal Circuit," but the other stuff sounds interesting enough that I'd enjoy the experience.

Not directly responsive, but I was talking to a Fed. Cir. clerk once, and he bitched about all the non-patent cases he has to do, and made it sound like all his co-clerks were patent-minded, and that his was a common sentiment.
Former COFC clerk here. I can confirm this sentiment was common from the patent Fed Cir clerk bros I met. :D Why wouldn't they want to deal with contracts, takings, vaccine, etc. claims?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Former COFC clerk here. I can confirm this sentiment was common from the patent Fed Cir clerk bros I met. :D Why wouldn't they want to deal with contracts, takings, vaccine, etc. claims?
Did you come across any clerks that were assigned exclusively to non-patent work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 4:08 pm

I'd say about half the judges at the Federal Circuit are open to hiring a clerk who has no interest in a career in patent law. However, I don't think a single judge would hire someone who "loathed" patent law. It's basically impossible to avoid patent law while clerking at the cafc. You don't have to be a patent law geek to clerk there, and cafc clerks move on to non-patent careers (e.g., commercial division of DOJ), but you've got to be willing to deal with patent law during your clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri May 23, 2014 7:57 pm

The more important issue is that once you clerk on Fed Cir it will be very hard to avoid having firms slot you into patent for the rest of your career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you come across any clerks that were assigned exclusively to non-patent work?
Nope. I highly doubt any of the judges hire that way, but it's possible. Plenty of other judges have exclusively criminal/civil clerks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”