Court of International Trade Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Court of International Trade

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Since there isn't a fresh topic about the CIT, and because the two much earlier threads have one total response, I figured I'd start one.

What do exit options look like coming out of a clerkship?
If I want to do COA afterward, will COA judges view a CIT clerkship less favorably than other Article III clerkships?
Are CIT interviews much different, systemically, than DC and COA interviews (taking into account the usual interview idiosyncrasies)?

Anonymous User

Re: Court of International Trade

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Since there isn't a fresh topic about the CIT, and because the two much earlier threads have one total response, I figured I'd start one.

What do exit options look like coming out of a clerkship?
If I want to do COA afterward, will COA judges view a CIT clerkship less favorably than other Article III clerkships?
Are CIT interviews much different, systemically, than DC and COA interviews (taking into account the usual interview idiosyncrasies)?
I'm looking at CIT, too. From what I've heard, the most common post clerkship work is 1) Commerce (Enforcement & Compliance) / USTR / other trade parts of the gov 2) Private big law or mid size firms, typically in trade or another international area (from a google search a couple seem to be in big law int'l arbitration) or 3) appellate clerkship at Fed Circuit.

There's a bunch of CIT judges who have already posted for 2015 - 2017 term. Anyone hear anything yet? Or know much about interviewing process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm looking at CIT, too. From what I've heard, the most common post clerkship work is 1) Commerce (Enforcement & Compliance) / USTR / other trade parts of the gov 2) Private big law or mid size firms, typically in trade or another international area (from a google search a couple seem to be in big law int'l arbitration) or 3) appellate clerkship at Fed Circuit.
I recently clerked at the Federal Circuit. Based on what I observed, it's pretty rare for a Fed. Cir. judge to hire a CIT clerk. Of the 40+ Federal Circuit clerks, I believe only one had clerked at CIT. Trade cases make up less than 10% of the court's docket.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
There's a bunch of CIT judges who have already posted for 2015 - 2017 term. Anyone hear anything yet? Or know much about interviewing process?
Original Anon. At least one CIT judge is already interviewing. Happy to share more by PM if I knew who you are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 15, 2014 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Original Anon. At least one CIT judge is already interviewing. Happy to share more by PM if I knew who you are.
ahh k havent heard anything unfortunately. are there multiple rounds of interviews? or does that mean i'm out for at least 1/3 who are accepting apps? on oscar they all still say 'available' so i assumed everyone was still reviewing.

any gen advice on how this process works.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ahh k havent heard anything unfortunately. are there multiple rounds of interviews? or does that mean i'm out for at least 1/3 who are accepting apps? on oscar they all still say 'available' so i assumed everyone was still reviewing.

Original Anon. Given the different patterns of hiring, I assume that the CIT is like most other courts: some judges have hired, some judges are hiring, some judges haven't hired yet. And probably like most other courts, CIT judges hire in different ways.

Again, I'm happy to share more via PM.

fishfry553

New

Post by fishfry553 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Original Anon. Given the different patterns of hiring, I assume that the CIT is like most other courts: some judges have hired, some judges are hiring, some judges haven't hired yet. And probably like most other courts, CIT judges hire in different ways.

Again, I'm happy to share more via PM.
hey - i'd love to PM a bit more about this. can you message me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:06 pm

any movement on 2015 term interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any movement on 2015 term interviews?
Stanceu has been interviewing. Restani interviews in July.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”