Post-Clerkship Comp Thread (2nd Yr Bonus, Class Credit, etc) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Post-Clerkship Comp Thread (2nd Yr Bonus, Class Credit, etc)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:49 pm
Any meaningful updates or changes here?

Is Kirkland still stiffing BK clerks on class year?
I would be very interested in how Gibson Dunn, Paul Weiss, and Sullivan and Cromwell too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:49 pm
Any meaningful updates or changes here?

Is Kirkland still stiffing BK clerks on class year?
I would be very interested in how Gibson Dunn, Paul Weiss, and Sullivan and Cromwell too.
One useful data point:

I know that Milbank has given two years of class credit, and I believe the double clerkship bonus for back to back BK clerkships. That may be negotiated and non-standard, I don't know, but definitely worth noting considering most firms only give that if at least one is a COA.

That stands in stark contrast to not getting any class credit at Kirkland, assuming that's still true (I heard that it was, at least as of 2020 BK clerk hires).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:28 pm

Anyone know Cleary Gottlieb practices (double clerkship bonuses, class credit, etc.)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:46 pm

Is Cleary hiring clerks this cycle? I heard that they told their former associates - who were out clerking in 2020 - that they didn't have return offers and/or returning was not guaranteed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:29 pm

I have a question about year-end bonuses and clerking.

I am a 2021 grad, starting a V25 in the fall, and then leaving to clerk at a D. Ct. in fall 2022. I understand that I will be classed as a second year when I return in the fall of 2023. I had always assumed that, upon starting at a firm after my clerkship, my year-end bonus (say $25K on the Cravath scale) would be pro-rated. But I was told recently that this isn't the case at many firms, and that I would be eligible for the full bonus based on my class year. Anyone able to speak from experience?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:29 pm
I have a question about year-end bonuses and clerking.

I am a 2021 grad, starting a V25 in the fall, and then leaving to clerk at a D. Ct. in fall 2022. I understand that I will be classed as a second year when I return in the fall of 2023. I had always assumed that, upon starting at a firm after my clerkship, my year-end bonus (say $25K on the Cravath scale) would be pro-rated. But I was told recently that this isn't the case at many firms, and that I would be eligible for the full bonus based on my class year. Anyone able to speak from experience?
This will depend on the firm. I received a full year-end bonus after lateralling, but will be receiving a pro-rated year-end bonus this fall after my clerkship. Both are V10 FWIW. I probably could have negotiated a full-year-end bonus following my clerkship but didn't bother.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 14, 2022 12:56 am

Anyone have any updates? Curious about double clerks generally. Looking for info about Boston in particular.

clerky123

New

Post by clerky123 » Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 pm

How do firm offers/bar stipends work for those who are doing a clerkship right after law school, but plan to start at the firm after?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 14, 2022 2:01 pm

clerky123 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 pm
How do firm offers/bar stipends work for those who are doing a clerkship right after law school, but plan to start at the firm after?
You get reimbursed when you start at the firm. Law clerks are eligible for the various public interest programs the bar prep companies do, which helps to cover the cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Mon May 16, 2022 2:19 pm

clerky123 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 pm
Probably best to ask the firm directly, but I have friends who clerked directly after grad and had to use “public interest gifted courses” from Kaplan/Themis

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2022 3:51 pm

Thinking it's time for a new thread with current information. I'm not really up to the task, but fully support it. I'm about to start my second clerkship (dct to coa) and really curious what the latest intel is on bonuses and class year credit (especially for those who clerked twice). I did a year of biglaw before clerking, and I'm a little worried that firms won't want to bring me in as a soon-to-be 4th year when I start fall 2023.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2022 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:51 pm
Thinking it's time for a new thread with current information. I'm not really up to the task, but fully support it. I'm about to start my second clerkship (dct to coa) and really curious what the latest intel is on bonuses and class year credit (especially for those who clerked twice). I did a year of biglaw before clerking, and I'm a little worried that firms won't want to bring me in as a soon-to-be 4th year when I start fall 2023.
I’m with you. I am also dct (2 years) to COA (1 year) but I’ll be done in 2024. I’d like to know comp, as well as how many years of credit firms would be willing to give me, since 3 years is less desirable.

JorgeMichael

New

Post by JorgeMichael » Mon May 16, 2022 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Quinn Emanuel offers $105K for one clerkship and $125K for two clerkships. SOURCE: https://www.quinnemanuel.com/careers/us ... -benefits/

Susman Godfrey offers $125K for one clerkship and $150K for two clerkships. SOURCE: https://abovethelaw.com/2022/04/elite-l ... p-bonuses/

Hueston Hennigan offers $125K for one clerkship, Robins Kaplan offers $100K, Fish & Richardson offers $115K, Boies Schiller offers $110K, Munger Tolls offers $80K. SOURCE: https://abovethelaw.com/2022/03/elite-f ... hip-bonus/

So it seems like the range for one clerkship is $105K - $125K, although not really sure what biglaw firms (Kirkland, Skadden, Latham, etc.) are offering nowadays.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Mon May 16, 2022 7:48 pm

JorgeMichael wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Quinn Emanuel offers $105K for one clerkship and $125K for two clerkships. SOURCE: https://www.quinnemanuel.com/careers/us ... -benefits/

Susman Godfrey offers $125K for one clerkship and $150K for two clerkships. SOURCE: https://abovethelaw.com/2022/04/elite-l ... p-bonuses/

Hueston Hennigan offers $125K for one clerkship, Robins Kaplan offers $100K, Fish & Richardson offers $115K, Boies Schiller offers $110K, Munger Tolls offers $80K. SOURCE: https://abovethelaw.com/2022/03/elite-f ... hip-bonus/

So it seems like the range for one clerkship is $105K - $125K, although not really sure what biglaw firms (Kirkland, Skadden, Latham, etc.) are offering nowadays.
Has it changed for biglaw outside the $50k/sometimes $70-75k bonus that it was a few years ago?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 8:22 pm

Chokenhauer wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:48 pm
JorgeMichael wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Has it changed for biglaw outside the $50k/sometimes $70-75k bonus that it was a few years ago?
Anecdotally, that seems right, but tilting more toward 75 than in the past.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:22 pm
Chokenhauer wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:48 pm
JorgeMichael wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anecdotally, that seems right, but tilting more toward 75 than in the past.
Any specific offices doing $75k?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m with you. I am also dct (2 years) to COA (1 year) but I’ll be done in 2024. I’d like to know comp, as well as how many years of credit firms would be willing to give me, since 3 years is less desirable.
Just went through applying as someone with one year big law followed by DCt and COA. All the firms I spoke with (big law, not really the more boutique firms so can’t speak to them) were going to bring me in with my class year, so I didn’t lose any credit.

I have heard of a few (Ropes, White & Case) that make you choose between bigger bonus and one year class credit or smaller bonus and two year credit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just went through applying as someone with one year big law followed by DCt and COA. All the firms I spoke with (big law, not really the more boutique firms so can’t speak to them) were going to bring me in with my class year, so I didn’t lose any credit.

I have heard of a few (Ropes, White & Case) that make you choose between bigger bonus and one year class credit or smaller bonus and two year credit.
OP here. Thank you. Good to know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Probably dumb question, but when presented with those two options what is the correct choice there? More money upfront + the greater leeway that comes with being a more junior associate and getting more runway seems like the objectively better choice, but maybe I'm missing something.

johndonne

New

Post by johndonne » Fri May 27, 2022 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I’ve heard that most biglaw firms are paying $100k for a CAFC clerkship, and many boutiques are paying $125k for the same—regardless of previous experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 9:04 am

Has anyone negotiated a higher clerkship bonus? This is in a smaller market, and I wonder if it might be possible to negotiate for a market bonus versus the firm’s norm in small markets, which is below-market.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 5:01 pm

Anybody have some recent updates on comp after coming off a two year district court (or CoA) clerkship? I know some firms explicitly say that they will comp both years. Any that don't based off of recent information?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2022 7:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:04 am
Has anyone negotiated a higher clerkship bonus? This is in a smaller market, and I wonder if it might be possible to negotiate for a market bonus versus the firm’s norm in small markets, which is below-market.
How much is the firm’s norm? Some markets (like the one I’m trying to leave) offer a minuscule bonus that isn’t even close to market. I’d imagine it’s hard to negotiate upwards to $75k if you’re only getting $15k on a good day.

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Sat May 28, 2022 6:36 pm

johndonne wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I’ve heard that most biglaw firms are paying $100k for a CAFC clerkship, and many boutiques are paying $125k for the same—regardless of previous experience.
CAFC = Federal Circuit, I’m guessing? I’m stupid with the acronyms

johndonne

New

Post by johndonne » Sun May 29, 2022 11:32 am

Chokenhauer wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:36 pm
johndonne wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
CAFC = Federal Circuit, I’m guessing? I’m stupid with the acronyms
Yes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”