Asking Prof to Make Calls Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Asking Prof to Make Calls

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:39 pm

So, what's the etiquette regarding asking professors to make calls? Here's the deal: a professor wrote me a letter of recommendation and I assume it's the strongest recommendation of the three. I booked his class when I was a 1L and got an A in his seminar as a 2L. I've since been his RA and maintained a good relationship with him. The only issue is that he doesn't have relationships or connections with the judges that I'm applying to. He's well-respected in my school and in his field, but I go to a T30, so he's not a celebrity professor from HYS or anything like that.

A few questions: Would it be wise to send him the list of judges and the chamber phone numbers and ask if he wouldn't mind making phone calls (just so that my app get's pulled out of the stack)? Do you think having him call is useless because he doesn't have connections with the judge? If not, do you think it's inappropriate for me to ask since he didn't offer?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Asking Prof to Make Calls

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:57 pm

It's perfectly fine to ask a professor to make calls, even if they don't offer. Just ask him if he'd be willing to call a few judges on your behalf. If he says yes, pass along your list of top choices with phone numbers.

Judges respond to these calls differently. My current judge spoke with my recommender (non-celebrity professor from a T30) when she called. Other judges avoid these calls, though. It's hit-or-miss, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”