Value of 4-years of clerking Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Value of 4-years of clerking

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 am

I am clerking in a "specialty court" but have an offer to clerk at an Art. III district court. My current clerkship will have lasted 2 years and the d. ct. judge wants at least a 2-year commitment, but encourages her clerks to stay as long as they can. I have 48 hours to make a decision.

I don't know how firms will view this. I'm not even particularly committed to going to a firm (my debt is minimal, so I have flexibility), but I want to keep the option open for the obvious reasons. I'm pretty much open to all litigation positions though. I love clerking and I know I'll be happy with the job and the location.

So, any drawbacks for clerking for 4 years?

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Re: Value of 4-years of clerking

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:19 am

I'm an academic at heart so to me this sounds amazing 4 years of relatively nice working conditions, intellectually stimulating environment and overall prestigious legal undertaking but I think most of TLS will say this doesn't make sense for most vocational tracks

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am clerking in a "specialty court" but have an offer to clerk at an Art. III district court. My current clerkship will have lasted 2 years and the d. ct. judge wants at least a 2-year commitment, but encourages her clerks to stay as long as they can. I have 48 hours to make a decision.

I don't know how firms will view this. I'm not even particularly committed to going to a firm (my debt is minimal, so I have flexibility), but I want to keep the option open for the obvious reasons. I'm pretty much open to all litigation positions though. I love clerking and I know I'll be happy with the job and the location.

So, any drawbacks for clerking for 4 years?
What is the nature of the "specialty court" for which you are currently clerking? If it's a bankruptcy court, and if your goal is to practice bankruptcy law, then there's probably some risk in clerking for another two years at a district court.

But if you're not interested in practicing in the subject matter area of your specialty court, then you're probably in trouble if you don't do something like a second clerkship. It sounds like you're interested in general litigation. Although four years of clerking is not going to look great to many firms, I would think that two years of specialty court + two years of district court would put you in a stronger position than just two years in a specialty.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:25 am

Poll it.

I'd vote no just because I woudlnt want firms to view me as a career clerk.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:27 am

How are clerks from your court and district being recieved by firms now?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 am

Jchance wrote:Poll it.

I'd vote no just because I woudlnt want firms to view me as a career clerk.
Before you poll it, I suggest providing more information. I realize that you want to remain anonymous, but I think it's difficult to provide you with meaningful advice based on the OP.

What is the specialty court? Do you have any interest in practicing in that subject area?

What was the quality of your law school (e.g., Top 15, Top 50)? What were your grades like?

Do you have a regional preference? Is the district court in the region in which you want to practice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”