Let's Talk 10th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 10th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:01 am

He seems like a great guy. His clerks work quite hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 am

Any updates on McHugh, Bacharach, or Matheson? Have they started interviewing?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on McHugh, Bacharach, or Matheson? Have they started interviewing?
McHugh is done through January 2020.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:33 am

Any thoughts on what it's like to work for McHugh?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on what it's like to work for McHugh?
She's among the hardest-working judges on the court. I don't know whether that affects her clerks, but I imagine it does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on what it's like to work for McHugh?
She's among the hardest-working judges on the court. I don't know whether that affects her clerks, but I imagine it does.
Her clerks work a ton.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:57 pm

I mean to be clear the kind of "hard work" coa clerks do is *fun* hard work. Don't let that scare you off from a particular judge

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 am

Any new thoughts on Holmes? He seems like a prolific writer, but I'd like to know how bad his clerks get worked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 am

About as hard as you could imagine

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:32 am

I talked to a Holmes clerk a couple of years ago who had clerked for my district judge first, he said Holmes' reputation for working his clerks extremely hard was well-deserved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About as hard as you could imagine
It's true he has a well-deserved reputation for working his clerks hard, but don't imagine for a second it's anything approaching Kozinski-esque levels of work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:45 pm

How does one demarcate these levels? What's working clerks hard v. Kozinski level working? Does a Holmes clerk work 12 hour days and some weekends and a Kozinski clerk work every waking hour?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It's true he has a well-deserved reputation for working his clerks hard, but don't imagine for a second it's anything approaching Kozinski-esque levels of work.
Anonymous User wrote:How does one demarcate these levels? What's working clerks hard v. Kozinski level working? Does a Holmes clerk work 12 hour days and some weekends and a Kozinski clerk work every waking hour?
I'd also appreciate some more specific info if anyone is willing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't know what this means, but I stand by my statement, based on having clerked on the circuit and speaking to people who would know

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't know what this means, but I stand by my statement, based on having clerked on the circuit and speaking to people who would know
The demands Kozinski makes of his clerks are well known—read his OSCAR posting or search around on the forum here if you aren't aware. Holmes doesn't make demands even approaching those Kozinski makes. For my part, I'm not willing to be more specific about what I know or how I know it. If you want more specifics, I strongly suggest you reach out to former Holmes clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The demands Kozinski makes of his clerks are well known—read his OSCAR posting or search around on the forum here if you aren't aware. Holmes doesn't make demands even approaching those Kozinski makes. For my part, I'm not willing to be more specific about what I know or how I know it. If you want more specifics, I strongly suggest you reach out to former Holmes clerks.
Planning to do that. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:30 am

Has Tymkovich or Hartz started interviewing for 19-20? Anything important to know about what they're looking for/what qualifications they prefer (e.g. Local ties or alum candidates etc.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has Tymkovich or Hartz started interviewing for 19-20? Anything important to know about what they're looking for/what qualifications they prefer (e.g. Local ties or alum candidates etc.)
I interviewed with Tymkovich this time last year for 18-19 so it wouldn't surprise me if he's started for 19-20, although he took a very long time after interviewing me to complete hiring for 18-19 (I didn't get an offer). He hires both straight-through and alumni clerks from the standard top schools, particularly HLS, and also from the local Colorado law schools (he's a CU alum and I know he's hired from DU before as well). Ties to Colorado don't otherwise seem to be important.

Tymkovich is a quite conservative judge but some of the past clerks I spoke to were liberals. I don't know how intentional he is about ideology when hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any new thoughts on Holmes? He seems like a prolific writer, but I'd like to know how bad his clerks get worked.
Is Holmes hiring right now? Heard from a classmate who had applied that he was done hiring through 2019-2020 and OSCAR seems to confirm this--no openings, as far as I can tell. Does this mean some COA judges are looking at 2020-2021 already (beyond what OSCAR seems to indicate)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any new thoughts on Holmes? He seems like a prolific writer, but I'd like to know how bad his clerks get worked.
Is Holmes hiring right now? Heard from a classmate who had applied that he was done hiring through 2019-2020 and OSCAR seems to confirm this--no openings, as far as I can tell. Does this mean some COA judges are looking at 2020-2021 already (beyond what OSCAR seems to indicate)?
I'm pretty sure he's full for 2019. I know he's hired at least two. Don't know if he's considering 2020 yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:18 am

Anyone heard from Briscoe? Is she still interviewing for 2018-2019? If so, how many spots does she have available?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's full for 2019. I know he's hired at least two. Don't know if he's considering 2020 yet.
Just curious -- where can we find out this kind of information? Or is this only the type of stuff that's heard through the grapevine? I'm admittedly new to this process (although I've read through all of TLS's super helpful clerkship threads) so perhaps I'm just missing something on OSCAR or elsewhere.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just curious -- where can we find out this kind of information? Or is this only the type of stuff that's heard through the grapevine? I'm admittedly new to this process (although I've read through all of TLS's super helpful clerkship threads) so perhaps I'm just missing something on OSCAR or elsewhere.
Varies. Sometimes an individual applicant or a law school that distributes info to students has called chambers to ask. Other times it might be a former, current, or future clerk with some kind of inside info. Some judges let rejected applicants know in their rejection letter: "I have completed hiring for [term]. I regret that I was unable to select you. Good luck in your future endeavors." A few judges post openings for all their positions on OSCAR, i.e. three or four spots for a single term: once all those are displaying as "filled" a judge is probably done hiring for that term.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Varies. Sometimes an individual applicant or a law school that distributes info to students has called chambers to ask. Other times it might be a former, current, or future clerk with some kind of inside info. Some judges let rejected applicants know in their rejection letter: "I have completed hiring for [term]. I regret that I was unable to select you. Good luck in your future endeavors." A few judges post openings for all their positions on OSCAR, i.e. three or four spots for a single term: once all those are displaying as "filled" a judge is probably done hiring for that term.
Makes sense. Thanks so much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Briscoe? Is she still interviewing for 2018-2019? If so, how many spots does she have available?
Briscoe is done for 2018-2019.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”