Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:51 am
blackjake200 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 am
Are there any republican appointed judges on the Ninth that aren't too conservative? Any judges a very liberal applicant may want to avoid?
YMMV, but I would avoid Bea, Smith, Ikuta, Bumatay, VanDyke, Collins, Miller, Nelson. However, most will not interview you if you're obviously a liberal anyway, so I wouldn't worry.
I wouldn't put Bea, Collins, and Miller on this list. They are all conservative but all hire liberal clerks. Collins might be too conservative for some applicants but he definitely hires clerks that are to the left of him.
I completely agree that Collins should not be on this list. I know he hires a mix of clerks and everyone I've heard from (left and right) who has clerked for him has rave reviews of his kindness and thoughtfulness as a boss. While I don't know enough to speak to everyone on the list, I am confident that Ikuta, Bumatay, and Miller should also not be on it.
Collins is an absolute enigma. On the one hand, he's a smart, seemingly nice guy who hires liberals. On the other, he's the only unvaccinated active judge on the Ninth Circuit, he takes 12+ months to produce work product that other judges produce in weeks, and had a clerk quit halfway through the year this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are there any republican appointed judges on the Ninth that aren't too conservative? Any judges a very liberal applicant may want to avoid?
YMMV, but I would avoid Bea, Smith, Ikuta, Bumatay, VanDyke, Collins, Miller, Nelson. However, most will not interview you if you're obviously a liberal anyway, so I wouldn't worry.
I wouldn't put Bea, Collins, and Miller on this list. They are all conservative but all hire liberal clerks. Collins might be too conservative for some applicants but he definitely hires clerks that are to the left of him.
I completely agree that Collins should not be on this list. I know he hires a mix of clerks and everyone I've heard from (left and right) who has clerked for him has rave reviews of his kindness and thoughtfulness as a boss. While I don't know enough to speak to everyone on the list, I am confident that Ikuta, Bumatay, and Miller should also not be on it.
Collins is an absolute enigma. On the one hand, he's a smart, seemingly nice guy who hires liberals. On the other, he's the only unvaccinated active judge on the Ninth Circuit, he takes 12+ months to produce work product that other judges produce in weeks, and had a clerk quit halfway through the year this year.
I also heard about the clerk who quit. Does anyone know why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ikuta hires liberals - one year three out of four, even.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Milan Smith, Ikuta, and Miller should be nowhere near this list. Ikuta is quite conservative but as several have noted, her clerks are not always. M. Smith and Miller are moderate Republicans. Bea and VanDyke certainly care about ideology. I can't speak to how the other 3 Trump nominees on the list (Bumatay, Collins, Nelson) hire, but they are certainly more conservative jurists than M. Smith and Miller are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Milan Smith, Ikuta, and Miller should be nowhere near this list. Ikuta is quite conservative but as several have noted, her clerks are not always. M. Smith and Miller are moderate Republicans. Bea and VanDyke certainly care about ideology. I can't speak to how the other 3 Trump nominees on the list (Bumatay, Collins, Nelson) hire, but they are certainly more conservative jurists than M. Smith and Miller are.
Collins regularly hires liberals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How do you know he's the only unvaccinated active judge on the Ninth Circuit?

Btw, does the Ninth Circuit still enforce the absolutely ridiculous order from Murguia regarding COVID, which declares that:
"No one shall enter a Ninth Circuit Courthouse if they [h]ave had symptoms consistent with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days (e.g., temperature above 100.4, chills, shortness of breath, unusual fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea)..."
https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/ ... tocols.pdf

Am I really expected to work from home for two weeks because I got diarrhea at Cheesecake Factory over the weekend? And if I go to work anyway, must I report myself as a criminal to the bar? Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:22 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Btw, does the Ninth Circuit still enforce the absolutely ridiculous order from Murguia regarding COVID, which declares that:
"No one shall enter a Ninth Circuit Courthouse if they [h]ave had symptoms consistent with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days (e.g., temperature above 100.4, chills, shortness of breath, unusual fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea)..."

Am I really expected to work from home for two weeks because I got diarrhea at Cheesecake Factory over the weekend? And if I go to work anyway, must I report myself as a criminal to the bar? Thank you.
If you're a clerk, it depends on what your judge cares to enforce, if you're a litigant, yes, you're subject to that mess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:16 pm

Any early musings on the Biden CA9 appointees? (Sung, Koh, Sanchez, Thomas)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Collins is also brilliant. One of the smartest judges in the country. Would be curious to know why the clerk quit as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:16 pm
Any early musings on the Biden CA9 appointees? (Sung, Koh, Sanchez, Thomas)
Also curious about this. I've heard clerking for a new district judge can be rough - is the same thing true for COA judges in general (and these four in particular)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can confirm Collins is the only unvaccinated active judge. If you look at some of the argument streams, you’ll notice that he does all of the arguments remotely, even when they’re in the Pasadena courthouse where his chambers are

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can confirm Collins is the only unvaccinated active judge. If you look at some of the argument streams, you’ll notice that he does all of the arguments remotely, even when they’re in the Pasadena courthouse where his chambers are
Yep. None of the others have been confined to the webcam dungeon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Collins is also brilliant. One of the smartest judges in the country. Would be curious to know why the clerk quit as well?
It cannot be overstated how far behind he is on his work. Yes, he's published a decent number of high profile opinions in politically salient cases. But an active Ninth Circuit judge has to sit 32 days/year at minimum, and each day has an average of six cases. There's a lot more to do than just write high profile opinions, and his clerks are paying the price for the backlog he's built up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When I was clerking during COVID, there were some judges that chose to always be remote, while others were traveling to Pasadena/SF to hear arguments in person. This was during the brief respite in Summer 2021. So the thing about Collins being remote could be that he is unvaccinated, but maybe he's just afraid of getting it like the others used to be. Are the others really all back in person?

Seems wild that the Chief Judge has plenary power over all the federal appellate courts in a circuit. Where does Murguia get off telling another judge they can't enter their own courthouse? Or anyone with the quoted symptoms for that matter? Seems like an ADA violation, and a shameful abuse of power.

On the question about the new Biden appointees and the onboarding period, I'm sure your mileage may vary, but based solely on experience, I think Koh should have the easiest adjustment (district judge), followed by Sanchez (state appellate judge), then Sung/Thomas (former CA9 clerks).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:13 am

You could just listen to the people who are telling you that the reason Collins does all of his arguments remotely is because he’s unvaccinated. This is a widely known fact at the court.

As for the potshots at Judge Murguia, it’s not like she’s deciding these COVID policies on their own. They’re voted on by judges on all sides of the spectrum, at a minimum the executive committee of the court and sometimes the whole court. No judge is being prevented from entering their courthouse. The courthouses are generally closed to the public still, so it’s not like it’s keeping the public out either.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:17 am

For what it’s worth, I don’t think any of the new judges are going to have a difficult time adjusting. They all strike me as very smart and competent. And because the panel assignments are made well in advance, it can take a year for to get fully worked in to the argument rotation. So they have plenty of time to figure things out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:17 am
For what it’s worth, I don’t think any of the new judges are going to have a difficult time adjusting. They all strike me as very smart and competent. And because the panel assignments are made well in advance, it can take a year for to get fully worked in to the argument rotation. So they have plenty of time to figure things out
Yeah being a first-year DJ is hell but being a first-year circuit judge can be pretty straightforward

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:13 am
You could just listen to the people who are telling you that the reason Collins does all of his arguments remotely is because he’s unvaccinated. This is a widely known fact at the court.

As for the potshots at Judge Murguia, it’s not like she’s deciding these COVID policies on their own. They’re voted on by judges on all sides of the spectrum, at a minimum the executive committee of the court and sometimes the whole court. No judge is being prevented from entering their courthouse. The courthouses are generally closed to the public still, so it’s not like it’s keeping the public out either.
I did listen, I was curious how this was known. I was more surprised that people knew that Collins was the ONLY judge who wasn't vaccinated. How do they know that? Apparently it's deduced from the administrative order someone linked above, and Collins' remote sittings. But you say, "No judge is being prevented from entering their courthouse," so it's not clear what the relevance of the sitting remotely response was.

The public can't come in, so they can't be kept out? That's great, A+! :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I did listen, I was curious how this was known. I was more surprised that people knew that Collins was the ONLY judge who wasn't vaccinated. How do they know that? Apparently it's deduced from the administrative order someone linked above, and Collins' remote sittings. But you say, "No judge is being prevented from entering their courthouse," so it's not clear what the relevance of the sitting remotely response was.

I can’t tell if you’re being obtuse, but it’s not deduced from the administrative order. All of the judges of the court know that the reason Collins does his arguments remotely is because he’s unvaccinated and that he’s the only judge in this category. They tell their clerks. Their clerks post it on TLS….

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I can’t tell if you’re being obtuse, but it’s not deduced from the administrative order. All of the judges of the court know that the reason Collins does his arguments remotely is because he’s unvaccinated and that he’s the only judge in this category. They tell their clerks. Their clerks post it on TLS….
Okay so he does his arguments remotely because he's unvaccinated, and that has nothing to do with the administrative order requiring vaccinations. Why sit remotely then, if it's not required of unvaccinated judges?

If anyone is being obtuse I promise it's not me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:24 am

Look, he’s hired out until 2025, when hopefully this pandemic will no longer be relevant. What applicants should know is that he’s a smart guy who’s quite conservative and aggressive in calling for en banc and both a demanding and kind boss. He hires liberals regularly. That should be the end of it.

Stop the infighting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It cannot be overstated how far behind he is on his work. Yes, he's published a decent number of high profile opinions in politically salient cases. But an active Ninth Circuit judge has to sit 32 days/year at minimum, and each day has an average of six cases. There's a lot more to do than just write high profile opinions, and his clerks are paying the price for the backlog he's built up.
He is so far behind on his work, always asks for extensions on top of more extensions, calls cases eb left and right. I am not a clerk but work with a judge, and he makes some cases so much more difficult. I have however heard that he is incredibly smart and writes very good work when he does it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:45 am

My judge said that Collins is the smartest judge in the country. Likewise, I have a mentor who clerked at the Court the same year as Collins who says similar things. Likely hyperbole because there are lots of smart judges, but it tells you that he's in the same league as Srinivasan, Katsas, Easterbrook, Bibas, Fletcher types.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:32 pm

Smartest judge in the country is probably a stretch. Doubtful that he is even the smartest judge on the court, given that he’s sharing company with the likes of Berzon, Fletcher, Ikuta, Watford, Friedland, Miller, etc.

BUT, I agree he is very smart, and this is coming from someone who often disagrees with him

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:49 pm

Any info on whether Desai has hired/when she's hiring for? And if AZ ties are important to her?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”