Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2023 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:55 pm
Does anyone know if Johnstone has sent out invites at this point?
Data point, I applied last week and have not received an invite.
That makes two of us!
Anyone heard back on this yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2023 5:47 pm

Anyone know if Paez is waiting for June or if invites have gone out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:55 pm
Does anyone know if Johnstone has sent out invites at this point?
Data point, I applied last week and have not received an invite.
That makes two of us!
Anyone heard back on this yet?
I would imagine invites have gone out or are going out as we speak considering the interview dates listed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:51 am
blackjake200 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 am
Are there any republican appointed judges on the Ninth that aren't too conservative? Any judges a very liberal applicant may want to avoid?
YMMV, but I would avoid Bea, Smith, Ikuta, Bumatay, VanDyke, Collins, Miller, Nelson. However, most will not interview you if you're obviously a liberal anyway, so I wouldn't worry.
I wouldn't put Bea, Collins, and Miller on this list. They are all conservative but all hire liberal clerks. Collins might be too conservative for some applicants but he definitely hires clerks that are to the left of him.
I completely agree that Collins should not be on this list. I know he hires a mix of clerks and everyone I've heard from (left and right) who has clerked for him has rave reviews of his kindness and thoughtfulness as a boss. While I don't know enough to speak to everyone on the list, I am confident that Ikuta, Bumatay, and Miller should also not be on it.
Collins is an absolute enigma. On the one hand, he's a smart, seemingly nice guy who hires liberals. On the other, he's the only unvaccinated active judge on the Ninth Circuit, he takes 12+ months to produce work product that other judges produce in weeks, and had a clerk quit halfway through the year this year.
I also heard about the clerk who quit. Does anyone know why?
Did we ever find out why this Collins clerk quit? I'm so curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 am
Are there any republican appointed judges on the Ninth that aren't too conservative? Any judges a very liberal applicant may want to avoid?
YMMV, but I would avoid Bea, Smith, Ikuta, Bumatay, VanDyke, Collins, Miller, Nelson. However, most will not interview you if you're obviously a liberal anyway, so I wouldn't worry.
I wouldn't put Bea, Collins, and Miller on this list. They are all conservative but all hire liberal clerks. Collins might be too conservative for some applicants but he definitely hires clerks that are to the left of him.
I completely agree that Collins should not be on this list. I know he hires a mix of clerks and everyone I've heard from (left and right) who has clerked for him has rave reviews of his kindness and thoughtfulness as a boss. While I don't know enough to speak to everyone on the list, I am confident that Ikuta, Bumatay, and Miller should also not be on it.
Collins is an absolute enigma. On the one hand, he's a smart, seemingly nice guy who hires liberals. On the other, he's the only unvaccinated active judge on the Ninth Circuit, he takes 12+ months to produce work product that other judges produce in weeks, and had a clerk quit halfway through the year this year.
I've heard awful things about Collins as a boss. Like 80+ hours weeks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:51 pm

What's Collins' reputation as a boss?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blackjake200 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I've heard awful things about Collins as a boss. Like 80+ hours weeks
Definitely not. Collins does a lot of en banc stuff and has a high standard for unpublished opinions, so the work is more than many other CA9 chambers, but it’s not remotely close to 80+ hour weeks. Also not sure if “awful things” relates only to the hours, but I have heard generally good things about him as a boss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:34 pm

Seconding the above. There are obvious limits to what one can make of this, but I found it really remarkable when interviewing with Collins how much his clerks seemed to look up to/respect him, and how much they seemed to genuinely enjoy their clerkship experiences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 pm

I have also generally heard good things about Collins as a boss. I can see how he may be more difficult to work for if your personality does not click with his than some more docile judges, but from what I've heard, it's a good clerkship for FedSoc folks.

I have no idea why the Collins clerk left. I do know from seeing it happen in my chambers that sometimes clerks are fired and it's completely their own fault.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:24 pm

FWIW, I heard the Collins clerk quit because they decided litigation wasn't for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:24 pm
FWIW, I heard the Collins clerk quit because they decided litigation wasn't for them.
So you just quit a job midway through?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:20 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Makes sense. Their LinkedIn profile shows that they returned to their prior firm but joined their M&A group as opposed to the litigation group they'd been a part of before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Makes sense. Their LinkedIn profile shows that they returned to their prior firm but joined their M&A group as opposed to the litigation group they'd been a part of before.
I guess I don't know the full details, but I would feel awful about abandoning my fellow clerk midway and dumping my workload on them, even if I was pretty sure litigation was not for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I guess I don't know the full details, but I would feel awful about abandoning my fellow clerk midway and dumping my workload on them, even if I was pretty sure litigation was not for me.
Presumably the judge hired a replacement, or moved around future clerks? These things happen (most often due to pregnancy), not unheard of or unmanageable

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Another 9th circuit clerk from this term (a different judge) quit a few months in to leave the law entirely. Fortunately, the judge was able to line up a replacement and the remaining clerks only had about a month where they had to cover the vacant docket.

With sympathy to people who decide litigation/law practice isn't for them, I find this behavior extremely selfish. It's one year, and it's a small workplace that depends on everyone doing their part. Suck it up unless the judge is abusive or you have a family/personal emergency.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Another 9th circuit clerk from this term (a different judge) quit a few months in to leave the law entirely. Fortunately, the judge was able to line up a replacement and the remaining clerks only had about a month where they had to cover the vacant docket.

With sympathy to people who decide litigation/law practice isn't for them, I find this behavior extremely selfish. It's one year, and it's a small workplace that depends on everyone doing their part. Suck it up unless the judge is abusive or you have a family/personal emergency.
If the person left the law entirely I wonder if this was for their mental health.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:01 pm

Assuming it wasn't for mental health/personal/family reasons (in which case, leaving any job would be totally justified) quitting midway solely because you don't like litigation is extremely unprofessional.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

axiomaticapiary

New

Post by axiomaticapiary » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:21 pm

Let's try to show some grace to the person here guys, they are leaving the law entirely so they obviously are not happy in the profession and need a change in their life. That "just tough it out, don't be unprofessional" thing itself makes life in the law harder.

Don't you think enough people want 9th Cir. clerkships that it would be better to give that opportunity to someone who actually values it? I'm sure these judges all have qualified candidates to spare.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:52 pm

axiomaticapiary wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:21 pm
Let's try to show some grace to the person here guys, they are leaving the law entirely so they obviously are not happy in the profession and need a change in their life. That "just tough it out, don't be unprofessional" thing itself makes life in the law harder.

Don't you think enough people want 9th Cir. clerkships that it would be better to give that opportunity to someone who actually values it? I'm sure these judges all have qualified candidates to spare.
Having a clerk leave halfway through and training someone from scratch is a nightmare for most judges. It doesn’t really matter if they’re qualified. It takes time for them to learn how to do the work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:52 pm
axiomaticapiary wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:21 pm

Having a clerk leave halfway through and training someone from scratch is a nightmare for most judges. It doesn’t really matter if they’re qualified. It takes time for them to learn how to do the work.
I don’t understand the criticism here. The learning curve on a COA is basically nonexistent. It’s the most straightforward job in all of litigation. You write a lot of memos and some opinions; you almost certainly have done those things in law school, let alone if you’ve practiced; that’s basically it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:12 pm

Anyone know if Murguia still has weird work hours now that she's Chief?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dsamw

New

Post by dsamw » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:23 pm

Anybody know why Owens posted an opening for three clerks today, and is conducting interviews tomorrow? Does he normally do this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:12 pm
Anyone know if Murguia still has weird work hours now that she's Chief?
Have heard that Murguia’s clerks have a lighter workload now that she’s chief

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:23 am

dsamw wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:23 pm
Anybody know why Owens posted an opening for three clerks today, and is conducting interviews tomorrow? Does he normally do this?
It looks like he did something similar in 2021, where he posted on 6/12 for email applications and interviews were 6/15. Doesn't look like he even posted in 2022. My guess is the schools he cares about already knew to be emailing him apps so he only posted on OSCAR as a courtesy rather than to actually solicit applications, but I'm super jaded at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:23 am
dsamw wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:23 pm
It looks like he did something similar in 2021, where he posted on 6/12 for email applications and interviews were 6/15. Doesn't look like he even posted in 2022. My guess is the schools he cares about already knew to be emailing him apps so he only posted on OSCAR as a courtesy rather than to actually solicit applications, but I'm super jaded at this point.
So if you didn't submit by, at best, midday yesterday, are you SOL?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”